Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yemista

Tog from jetties

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

When fishing for tog from a jetty, do you generally let your line drop out right in front of the rocks? Or do you cast it out a bit and slowly bring it in? Im not sure what their behavior is like. Do they hide in the rocks? Or are they swimming out around in front of the rocks as well as hiding within them?

9 mins ago, yemista said:

When fishing for tog from a jetty, do you generally let your line drop out right in front of the rocks? Or do you cast it out a bit and slowly bring it in? Im not sure what their behavior is like. Do they hide in the rocks? Or are they swimming out around in front of the rocks as well as hiding within them?

As a kid I used to catch tog from jetties by dropping in between boulders that were close together. Even holes in the rocks that you would find hard to imagine had fish still had them. Getting them out of the hole is a different matter altogether! 

Just now, jason colby said:

As a kid I used to catch tog from jetties by dropping in between boulders that were close together. Even holes in the rocks that you would find hard to imagine had fish still had them. Getting them out of the hole is a different matter altogether! 

So you dont cast out in front of the jetty at all then? They live right in the rocks? Im planning on a trip soon and was curious about their behavior

2 mins ago, yemista said:

So you dont cast out in front of the jetty at all then? They live right in the rocks? Im planning on a trip soon and was curious about their behavior

You can cast in front of the rock as long as you bring you bait back to the rock if you want to catch tog. Figure that your sinker/crab should be within 3 or 4 feet from rock to be effective....

Also have the weight attached so that it will break of should you get a fish of size that will be hard pressed to bring out of the hole:howdy:

My wife's uncle would tell us he used to catch tog in the rocks on even the little jetties at Poppy.  he would drop down right into the rocks at the edge he said.

I thought it was all a fish story, but I've seen people fishing for scup catch small ones.

1 min ago, pogie_boy said:

My wife's uncle would tell us he used to catch tog in the rocks on even the little jetties at Poppy.  he would drop down right into the rocks at the edge he said.

I thought it was all a fish story, but I've seen people fishing for scup catch small ones.

Some of those smaller jetties near poppy were always a good place for tog, when they showed up in the spring even in front of the Golf course had it moments

25 mins ago, jason colby said:

You can cast in front of the rock as long as you bring you bait back to the rock if you want to catch tog. Figure that your sinker/crab should be within 3 or 4 feet from rock to be effective....

That's exactly what I do, short flip out, hit bottom then slowly  hop it back in feeling bottom until in the desired spot. Doing this, you know that you are not hung up on the way down, and bait is exactly where you want it.

As already said, getting them out once hooked is a different story. I use 50 braid to a 50lb by 3ft mono leader and 50lb hook length, and sometimes that has been shredded when he fights to get back inside his hole.

22 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Some of those smaller jetties near poppy were always a good place for tog, when they showed up in the spring even in front of the Golf course had it moments

Carl, oh my.  Never fished tog, but sure had some good catches once that poppy rip made up.    :th:

Whenever I spearfish for tog, it is necessary to look into every hole in every bunch of boulders. I definitely shoot them outside of the boulders, but 7 out of 10 are IN the rocks.

8 mins ago, Joe G said:

Carl, oh my.  Never fished tog, but sure had some good catches once that poppy rip made up.    :th:

That rip if it is the one we are both speaking about had a shallow depth to it as it rumbled over the small stones in front of the golf course . Some times we were into tog and other times bass and blue fish . We even put a few tog away with small swimming plugs,[these were larger then the normal run of the mill ones.] but sea worms were much better over all. When we could use cut herring , on a three way rig it was not uncommon to catch the largest of the day with fresh cut herring strips.. Out in the boat often during the first part of the run diamond jigs and sea bass jigs would also work on the larger sized ones. Another time another memory of what we all had once along our shore lines to fish for.Then there was Craigville beach for tog

2 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

That rip if it is the one we are both speaking about had a shallow depth to it as it rumbled over the small stones in front of the golf course . Some times we were into tog and other times bass and blue fish . ….

Yep, that is the rip, Carl.  I know you are aware of it.  

Haven't been there in many, many years.  It just may be time to trip down that way.

Let me know when the squid boats are off shore.  ;)  

Joe then we also had Dowes ,long time memories from the past when many different species were once available for all that put in the time and were not afraid to challenge themselves to trying something besides striped bass fishing . Saxon above is one who has excepted the challenge and knows the ways of fish