TBYRD

2019 Shad Fishing

Rate this topic

160 posts in this topic

Had a great day fishing today  with the Christmas Family Auction winning bidder of my spoon kit and day on the river.

Despite the cold, cloudy, rising water we were able to land close to a triple digit total for a half day on the water!!

The Patriotic red/white/blue spoons out produced all of the other colors combined :shaky:

It was great to meet you Dan!

20190521_204520.jpg

20190521_204645.jpg

20190521_203814.jpg

Fishing has picked up over the weekend on the Mac. Close to double digit numbers in 2 hours of fishing after work the past couple of days. Had a nice 20 incher that ripped line like no tomorrow and displayed acrobatic jumps. Two more inches I would've met bronze pin requirement for C&R MA Sportfishing Award. Still searching for that 22 incher plus.

A fantastic day all around, TBYRD put me on the fish from the first cast until the last.  Great guy who knows what he's doing on the river.  I hope you run into him on the river, he was handing out shad spoons to anyone who would take them, and they caught.

I'd like to thank Tim for putting together the Christmas auctions, giving all of us a chance to help people around the holidays and TBYRD for putting up his time, expertise, and personal supply of lures.

All I need to do is avoid the boss for a day or two until this sunburn fades.

Thanks again TBYRD, let's get out on the Merrimack sooner than later.

1 hour ago, newbie said:

nice fish. Nice spool. Where could I get some? 

If you ask very politely, I'll bet that TBYRD would hook you up.

I live on the Merrimac and have never caught one, always wanted to though. Safe to say I should go buy some flutter spoons and give it a shot huh?

Trying shad has been on my to-do list for a long time; I finally headed to the chunk of the Merrimack closest to me. Lots of splashing, just enough bank space to poke a cast through a gap in the woods, could manage about 40 feet out, flanked by snags.

I had brought a couple of Nungesser rigs I'd gotten from KTP, and picked the smaller, a red/white/yellow dart followed by a small chrome spoon. Looked good in the water. I was casting as far as I could, and just keeping the line tight until it drifted as far as I dare let it, to get deeper, then retreived very slowly, shaking the rod tip to add some flutter.

First fish was the biggest. It was out about 20 feet, just as the current broke, in about 5-6 feet of water. The take was soft, at first I thought I had some grass or bottom muck, and just tried to pull free. It dragged a couple feet, then took off for deep water, jumped, and headed down river. I was worried about the overhang down river, not sure how deep it went, so I palmed the spool and dragged it to me. It got clear of the branches, swam up river, and came off. Couldn't positively identify it, but when it jumped, it seemed shad shaped.

Second take was less than a rod length out, in about ten inches of water. I saw it roll and break the surface, definitely a silvery critter with diamond shaped scales, but it became very quickly unbuttoned, and I could not swear in court it wasn't a very large shiner.

Third fish I landed! First smallmouth of the year. Then, my janky poking cast resulted in fouling at the reel, and my rig went to see Poseidon. Oh well. Should have brought down my waders, I'd have had a better cast, and more ability to dodge snags without horsing the fish.

Tried an hour or two Thursday evening... almost completely dead. No bites, no sunfish chasing the rig, only a couple splashes, generally from the far shore. It was a couple hours earlier in the day than my previous attempt, maybe they are biding until sundown?

Last night, from 7:30 until the bats came out and I got a wind knot I couldn't undo. Tons of splashing, no hits. I'm starting to take this personally. I don't have anything else with the chrome flutter spoon, but I have a tiny Daredevil or two, some ice spoons, and itty bitty Kastmasters and Pimples. Probably try that, and hunt around for something for teasers. I have some one-inch skirted tubes, a strong contender. I dug out some other darts I bought years ago, all yellow, of course, just like what isn't working now.

From what I understand this is a day time fishery, and from my experience the color on the spoons can make the difference minute to minute.  Those lures you mention will work, but it could be an expensive outing.  Go to DiGloria's and pick up a handful of willow leafs they are a buck and change.

The run is winding down....

4 fish an hour for 3hrs today.

Stripers thrashin at herring out in the middle.

Hooked one on an SP and it took me around a bridge abutment and chafed off.