TBYRD

2019 Shad Fishing

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

I used to fish for them on the south shore but only at night standing in the middle of the steam and I wasn’t casting I used a small curly tail grub like a crappie lure which you would let hang in the current with a small length of line out, the shad would come in waves of fish bumping your legs as they came by, hooking up while tough wasn’t the main issue it was landing one as they were good sized and fought hard, haven’t done this in many years

5 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

RE: Fly fishing on the 'Mac

The areas that I've fished (from my canoe) aren't that deep (8-12' or so) and lend themselves quite well to flyfishing.

This will sound strange to many of you, but I've had best results using a WF full floating line with a long (10-12') leader.  

I first tried full-sink line, but the flies and darts seemed to get whipped around (even with moderate current) so I couldn't fish them dead drift a foot above the bottom.  No love with that approach.

I then tried sink tip lines, which were a bit better in terms of shad love, but still tough to feel what's at the end of my line.

Full floating line with a long leader provided both excellent line control and allowed the clousers/darts to get to the bottom.

YMMV

You're making me consider hauling my canoe down from Maine! I tried my floater last year and wound up with a smallmouth bass to my surprise (on a Crazy Charlie no less). Maybe I'll try the kayak this year...hate fly fishing from it but...

4 mins ago, stormy monday said:

You're making me consider hauling my canoe down from Maine! I tried my floater last year and wound up with a smallmouth bass to my surprise (on a Crazy Charlie no less). Maybe I'll try the kayak this year...hate fly fishing from it but...

I've just been reading about using flats flies for shad.  Makes perfect sense to me.

As you can see....

40,000 CFS or less is optimal and the CT river is way above average at @ 70k.

A week or two with minimal precip should get it closer to fishable conditions.  :waiting:

20190424_193929.jpg

These are the Holyoke and S Hadley sides of the CT river this morning.... PRE-storm!!

Looks to be @ 4-5ft higher than usual for this time of year.

Probably be a few weeks before it's even close to being fishable.

20190426_172246.jpg

20190426_105846.jpg