TBYRD

2019 Shad Fishing

Rate this topic

160 posts in this topic

Thought I'd start a thread for the shad fishing fanatics like me to post our thoughts, tips, pics, and reports.

With the CT waters temps rising by the day, it won't be long until these light tackle drag screamers migrate their way up into Western MA.

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.23.15 PM.png

Could someone share with me some tackle tips. 

I've only ever caught a couple small ones back in the day in the Palmer river.    I know I can't keep em, but I"d like to test one or two on a fly maybe.

Here in central CT the forsythias have begun to bloom. That means the shad are in the river. Now we have to wait for the river to get back into it's banks. Might be 2 weeks depending on the rain and snow melt up north.

I like to use light tackle, same I use for trout. 6 1/2' light rod shimano reel and 8# braid. Use shad darts, white and red or yellow and red or small willow leaf

1 hour ago, shark lobster said:

How long does this run last id like to try this yr ! Ive never done it before .

On the Merrimack River the shad run picks up around Mother's Day and peaks mid May. The numbers starts to dwindle after June. 

On 4/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, TBYRD said:

Thought I'd start a thread for the shad fishing fanatics like me to post our thoughts, tips, pics, and reports.

With the CT waters temps rising by the day, it won't be long until these light tackle drag screamers migrate their way up into Western MA.

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.23.15 PM.png

Good idea, buddy!!

"The poor man's salmon".

GREAT fun!!!!

My experience is that the CT river in Mass is basically May into early June for the best of it. In the CT river tribs in Mass, you'll start getting them sporadically right around now if water level isn't too high.. However, the level is critical, and flood stage can kill the bite. My understanding is the mainstem CT river in certain areas is running pretty high right now. If I were shad fishing now, I'd hit the tribs first where the water level drops off faster than in the big river. 

Thank you all for sharing lots of great info here already.

I've only fished the Merrimac R for shad, but I'd love to find some rivers closer to home.

Any thoughts re S Shore or Cape rivers?

Check the regs but im pretty sure that the ct and mac are the only rivers you can keep shad from.  

If you have a river with a Herring run, from what i understand youve got a chance at shad.

Im told shad spawn in the rivers while herring spawn in the ponds 

6 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I've only fished the Merrimac R for shad, but I'd love to find some rivers closer to home.

Catch and release only but the indian head river in Pembroke has a shad run.  The Charles has a burgeoning shad run as well.  Couple years ago I was watching 30 lb striper murder 5 lb shad trapped in the Charles Locks.

I used to fish Indian head at night back in the 90s...close quarters fishing like you read about but it was fun... my personal best one night was 18 hookups with only 3 fish landed... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

The CT river watershed in Mass is easiest to get to for me, but on the south shore there's the Indianhead, and supposedly the South and Jones rivers have small runs. I never had luck in either of the latter two but that was probably 25 years ago when I could actually get to the south shore from where I lived at the time. Now it might as well be as accessible as Siberia for me :cool:. I know of no consistent runs on the Cape. I have seen occasional shad in the Agawam in Wareham. . The Charles River is intriguing and I've never tried it for shad. I hear it's improving, but that's all I know about it. 

Edited by bdowning