NYNistler

Anyone Making Plugs WIth a 3D Printer

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've been out of the game for a very long 8 years, but one of my buddies and SOL member just sent me a video and pics of poppers he is making on a 3D printer.  He prints them with a through hole, belly hole, eye holes, and a cavity to fill with water for propper weighting. He says the cast a country mile. Outside of the cost of the printer, he is making the blank for under 50 cents.

 

Is anyone else doing this? And, if so, are you catching with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had thought of this but couldn't find anyone with a 3d machine. 

Would your friend be interested in making me a copy of something I already have ?

I want to resin pour but i need a good quality 3d copy to make my molds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local library has a 3D printer that you can use for a small fee.  The cost of these printers has come way down.  You can get one for about $100 from monoprice.  Now, if anyone can print me a Hellcat lure, I'm all in because you can't find them anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

There was a thread on here not too long ago about a guy from the Netherlands rping ft poppers. We can't post links, but the website is "dutchanglers" and the subject is "engineering an indestructible gt popper". Very interesting.

Edited by Kent I
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Our local library has a 3D printer that you can use for a small fee.  The cost of these printers has come way down.  You can get one for about $100 from monoprice.  Now, if anyone can print me a Hellcat lure, I'm all in because you can't find them anymore.

More like aound 1K. The Prusa MK3. Nothing is the lower spectrum is reliable.  If something goes wrong, you are on your own, no warranty no support, not even from the company who created the machine. Chance of something goes wrong is very very high. I bet a properly printed lure cost more than 50 cent in filament alone. Not to mentioned the upgrade to a normal printer to print special filaments like poly carbonate. I spent quite a bit of time on this trying to get a 3d printer for my nephew for Christmas. As of right now, it's not ready for the consumer market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, hobobob said:

More like aound 1K. The Prusa MK3. Nothing is the lower spectrum is reliable.  If something goes wrong, you are on your own, no warranty no support, not even from the company who created the machine. Chance of something goes wrong is very very high. I bet a properly printed lure cost more than 50 cent in filament alone. Not to mentioned the upgrade to a normal printer to print special filaments like poly carbonate. I spent quite a bit of time on this trying to get a 3d printer for my nephew for Christmas. As of right now, it's not ready for the consumer market.

Awesome, thank you for the insight.  Gonna skip it for now.  I priced out doing the library printer and it would cost about 5 bucks, but then you have to add in hook hardware and the time spent finishing the plug and I decided its not worth it unless there's a really rare pattern you need, ex.  the hellcat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJTramcar said:

Can you share the video, it would be interesting to see.

It’s really low res and doesn’t show much, but the finished product looks decent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Awesome, thank you for the insight.  Gonna skip it for now.  I priced out doing the library printer and it would cost about 5 bucks, but then you have to add in hook hardware and the time spent finishing the plug and I decided its not worth it unless there's a really rare pattern you need, ex.  the hellcat.

Not to mention that you have to be a pretty competent CAD user to produce a model of a free-form shape like the Hellcat to dump into the 3D printer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.