Tonybags79

Braided line

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Just starting out at surf fishing, curious to know if I’m using a 9’ ugly stick with a penn battle 2 6000, is 40/50 lbs braid too heavy for my main line? 

I don't know your circumstances, but I would only go up to 50 for serious currents, like the ccc.  For open beach fishing I use 20 and go up to 30 for jettys and rips.

Depends on the brand of braid, but typically 30lb is as high as you'll need, unless it's fairly extreme circumstances.  

if you have lets say 15 lbs of drag on your reel, why 50 lb test? the drag will let line out way before 20lb or 30 lb test breaks. Think you would only need the heavy stuff if your somewhere with structure your worrying about your line coming in contact with.i use 30 lb on everything.

2 hours ago, Tonybags79 said:

Ok got it, so wat are the downsides to having say a 40/50 lbs braid line? 

Little bit less casting distance and line capacity, but it's also easier to handle if you're new to braid. I'd probably stick to 40.

IMO i would say none at all, yes you will get less casting distance but that will depend on your casting skill.. i have seen guys outcast others with smaller setups. Also agree that 40/50 is alot better for people new to braid...