Angler #1

Ring neck Pheasant

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I think we'll eventually learn that the newly established and thriving turkey flocks are dramatically impacting the few remaining grouse we gave left.  Much more than previously thought. They do compete for some of the same food.

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

And don't forget the owls. The owls make short work of pheasant.

I used to hunt stocked birds at the Lakehurst Naval station, one weekend it snowed and we had a full moon, just about every bird got its head removed by owls. The birds were fine, they just had no heads.

57 mins ago, bob_G said:

I think we'll eventually learn that the newly established and thriving turkey flocks are dramatically impacting the few remaining grouse we gave left.  Much more than previously thought. They do compete for some of the same food.

Fwk!

Such a good post lost so a best buy ad could run.

I friggin give up

7 hours ago, b-ware said:

As I said before in a previous post, I can remember these birds nesting on a farm I used to work as a kid, however, to the best of my knowledge and I live in prime habitat, there is no population of wild birds in Mass.

Well as I said, I've seen them in the spring, with their chicks in early spring on some dairy farms. They were in fields with a corn stubble that hadn't been plowed under yet. So unless the state is starting to stock them in March so they can nest, there are wild birds  in far western MA.

13 hours ago, giggyfish said:

back when 1st street used to be miles of tall marsh grass. 

I can relate to that.  

I'd see a crap ton of pheasant in the meadowlands in NJ from the 80's up through... I dunno, maybe the late 90's?   I dont know if they are still thick in there because I dont get out there anymore like I used to, but you'd see them all the time on the turnpike and in bump-out fishing spots all through the phramites marsh areas (another invasive, right?) 

As a kid/teen I thought it'd be great to stock pheasant in the boundary areas of heavily populated bergen county nJ where i grew up.  We had a lot of skinny/phramites rich areas along highways, malls, and inbetween housing complexes and strip malls etc.  

Species diversity really sucked in these regions, and i was pretty keen on trapping and releasing critters and foliage to try to improve it.   

Surely not successful, but it was fun and it kept me busy and largely out of any real trouble (but often in minor trouble).    

Yeah... anyway.   Paramus still doesnt have many american toads, but I did find a really aweomse male box turtle there (released immediately) nor toads, smallmouths... But a much younger me  may have been partly repsonsible for the spread of some invasive crayfish, the rentroduciton of northern newts, american and fowlers toads, mummichogs, dekays, garter, ringnecked, and redbellied snakes, and even a few painted turtles, all politely harvested from Oakland NJ, Pike county PA, and a few places in between.  

I once transplanted about a hundred seedlings of mimossa from wallington to milford PA.  I dont know what I was thinking, but the tree intrigued me and I thought I was doing a favor to the local ecosystem... thankfully the deer made short work of them very quickly.  20 years later not a single one has cropped up, so I think that little 11 year old's experiemnt was contained.  

Anyway, adults should know better.  

Just so happens something caught my eye after washing the cars in the driveway Sunday afternoon....He was almost to my deck before he decided to head the other way. 

7A161A2A-E751-44A4-BDF5-9EEB3F2AD91A.jpeg

A single animal among the wilderness of life looking for a companion to strut around with. Non the less a nice site to see one in search of a soul mate, that may never occur unfortunately.