Ring neck Pheasant

Rate this topic

Angler #1

Just saw my first one since I have lived here following my turkeys around . Nice sight to see a male with all of its splendor roaming around the yard. Wife tried to take a picture, but he was to fast in his get away . How many here on the cape have seen Pheasant  around . It was once a common sight on some of the beaches down cape to see them strutting around , The coyotes and foxes took care of that population. Now they are targeted by hunters here abouts . The coyotes or birds which is more pleasant to watch it is a toss up for sure if you love to see wildlife in its natural surroundings  

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

Im guessing it was a lucky survivor from the fall stocking season. Probably pretty lonely so tagging along with the turkeys.

used to see the occasional pheasant when I was a kid but figure it was the same situation then.. maybe the cape has a breeding population though.

yeah, they’re pretty spooky about having things pointed at them :p

Edited by SkunkLuvver

You guys think the foxes and coyotes are a bigger threat to the pheasants than hawks?  Aside from the loss of habitat I think a pheasant doesn't have a prayer of surviving with  the number of hawks around.   I see a few now and then running through Miles Standish and not very far from where they are released.

Edited by JohnDe

3 mins ago, JohnDe said:

You guys think the foxes and coyotes are a bigger threat to the pheasants than hawks?  Aside from the loss of habitat I think a pheasant doesn't have a prayer of surviving with  the number of hawks around.   I see a few now and then running through Miles Standish and not very far from where they are released.

And don't forget the owls. The owls make short work of pheasant.

The Sultan of Sluggo

44 mins ago, JohnDe said:

After being bred specifically for hunting in a put and take sport, I firmly believe the survival instincts have been bred out of them.  When I was a youngster we would watch wild pheasants land by going straight down and not running, leaving a scent trail but for years, because they are pen raised, would rather run than fly.  We also had to be careful putting up hay as the birds would nest in the field not far from the edges.  They were in the open a lot because there were very few birds of prey back then thanks to the effects of DDT.  I have seen, many, many times of bird dogs walking up to and grabbing a pheasant and bringing them back or birds following a person thinking that he is the guy going to feed them.

My best dog was a lovely female named Lucy. It was hysterical watching her catch freshly stocked trout. She'd swim just outside the school, then rush them onto the beach. Grab one, and make a flawless retrieve to my hand.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

After being bred specifically for hunting in a put and take sport, I firmly believe the survival instincts have been bred out of them.  When I was a youngster we would watch wild pheasants land by going straight down and not running, leaving a scent trail but for years, because they are pen raised, would rather run than fly.  We also had to be careful putting up hay as the birds would nest in the field not far from the edges.  They were in the open a lot because there were very few birds of prey back then thanks to the effects of DDT.  I have seen, many, many times of bird dogs walking up to and grabbing a pheasant and bringing them back or birds following a person thinking that he is the guy going to feed them.

the wild pheasant prefer to hide and run,he will only fly if he is flushed or he has to cross small creek.before evning they fly on trees to roost.