dbjpb

Fishing in NJ in the afternoon

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I normally fish early in the morning and enjoy watching the sunrise. This weekend I followed the wind and weather and tide forecasts and decided to fish

in  the afternoon.  This was a bad idea. I managed to get out to raritan bay on Saturday between 1 and 4pm. I have never seen so many people fishing in one area before. There were 100's of people fishing from the beach and at least 50 kayaks in a small area mixed in with some power boats. Then along comes a dude on a jet ski who starts riding in between  all the kayaks and power boats. I know the bay is open for everybody. I know I am really getting old. But really why would you need to jet ski in between kayaks and power boats when you could see people are fishing ?  I have experienced the same phenomena when I paddle board in the summer. Sometimes I think people are just trying to create a wake and dump people into the water?  It appears the power boating class we have to take in New Jersey is not working. I also noticed the same phenomena in lake george when canoeing. People on water ski's needed to circle the canoe to create a big wakes and show off their skills .  I can see why people like to fish at night.  This may be something I need to look into.

Edited by dbjpb

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was out there the same time as you. If you would have moved a little off from the crowd towards the "pier" you would have found stellar fishing in 10 ft. Gotta get away from the crowds on the weekend even if it means deviating from fishing your planned spot. Had a little luck on my side too but just want to point out that the traffic sometimes moves the bite away from where you expect it to be. 

VideoCapture_20190413-203654.jpg

Edited by eddiespaghetti

42 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

This is rich! 

I guess those

"all company welcome" posts weren't meant for waverunners?

only waverunners who identify as kayaks :)

Jet skis seem to distill the idiocy of powerboaters. They have no concept of giving anyone space or of how obnoxious they are. Sometimes fishing is like being in a big beautiful park that is getting rampaged by a motocycle gang.

Sorry you got the skunk again Joe, I figured RB would be a freaking madhouse and I could get skunked closer to home! Might try there Wed.

I recently did the CT Boat Safety Cert ...   an inordinate proportion of the documentation and subsequent exam dealt with waverunners ... it’s going to take a lot more and longer 

I have a huge problem with this here in NJ during the false albacore run when you have random boats cutting off the school of albies from the surf guys and then the boats get all the action

I would agree with you. This year seems extra crowded and I notice more and more kayak fishermen each year.

The last two years I have been pushing myself to fish more and more at night. Getting comfortable with an area seems to be key for me. Since I live 2-hours from the fishing grounds, in most cases, I fish when I can. My grandfather used to tell me, "I haven't figured out much in the fishing world, but I know you can't catch them from the couch."

For instance, this week, planning on sneaking out Wednesday, probably afternoon. If the stars align properly. As someone else said before, I try to avoid the crowds if at all possible. A few motors running, paddles slapping, etc. seems to make the fish spooky, especially on clear, sunny days.

Everybody enjoys the water in their own way. They could be a little more courteous but that comes with self-awareness and that really is too much to expect from the general public.

That's why I love colder rainy days. I only get to fish weekends and as long as its not too windy, those are the days ill try and get out.