FlounderWetspot

In the market for new pedal yak

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Alright sooo. I got about 3k give or take to spend. 

Have a yak with a 43dv Garmin which I can transfer to another yak simply, but would like to buy a bigger screen ff to go with the new yak. 

Plain and simple, I’ve paddled for years and I’m over it. I’m going pedal to keep up with fish and be more productive. 

I fish Barnegat bay and will plan to launch out front when sea / wind conditions and fish allow for it 

I car top on a 2008 pathfinder which had weight limits of 150 on the roof rack safely in all conditions and speeds. So says the manual. I have no problem lifting said weight alone, although the cumbersome shape of the yak doesn't make it fun. 

Im looking into the following :

perception pilot 12 

compass

outback

jackson coosa fd

old town topwater pdl

to name a few. 

Priorities would be :

speed

transducer mount

Turning radius 

reverse ( I have found the compass with the 180) 

As far as stability goes, they are all okay with me because I’m never going to be standing up in the yak fishing. Don’t want to and don’t need to. 

What say you SOL

Edited by FlounderWetspot

Posted (edited) · Report post

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?  I noticed you left the hobie revolution off the list?

That is the best surf launch machine pedal drive on the market  bar none. Also is the lightest .

In general  hobies require the least maintenance of the kayaks you mentioned.  What model kayak are you currently paddling ? 

Edited by dbjpb

You mention launching out front and then speed ... from a Hobie list (I don’t have experience with other solutions), I’d recommend a Revo. Compass and Outback are launchable but the Revo option will launch easier out front and give you a bit wider launchable weather window ... IMHO. There is a Hobie dealer on LBI, see if they’ll let you do a demo. Good Luck :th:

Thanks for taking the time to respond fellas, I’m 5’8 186 athletic build in pretty good shape. I left the revo out because the length. Although not entirely opposed to the 13, the 11 doesn’t have the weight rating. The 13 seems a bit much to be working bridges and back bay honey holes, it doesn’t seem to be quick to turn if I need to work around a piling. Now, out front I am willing to bet it’s hard to beat it. What I’m trying to say is I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too! Having said that I am yet to test one. I currently paddle a equinox 12.0f comes in at about 75lbs with the rudder and foot controls I added. About 95lbs rigged with crate, planos, 7.5 lb anchor and Garmin 43dv. 

Get an Outback and a Revo then you can have it and eat it :th:

beware the addiction ... We have a Revo 16, 2 Outbacks and a Sport ... and those are just the Hobies :p

Revo sounds like it would meet your needs. If I were you I would test it and the outback back to back if possible. 

Revo is lighter (easier to car top) and imo a bit faster than the outback. I currently have both and will probably be rid of the outback soon enough. Don’t have any gripes about the manueverability of the revo but I wish it had built in forward rod holders.

Nothing is going to be perfect!

I would suggest trying a few if not all on your list if you can. Spending 3K on a plastic boat is no joke and should come with some on the water research. 

If surf launching you can store your hobie drive below deck to protect it . Not sure you can do that with the other models you mentioned.

Is any one by chance aware of any demo days coming up? The price of the revo is right there in the ball park. Also, is anyone aware of a revo revamp in the future ? Like how they did the outback..

You’ve got as much chance as asking for next week’s Powerball numbers ... dealers would be up in arms if Hobie answered that question 

I would take all prop kayaks off the list. None are sealed. I like props, owned several but if anyone surf launches?  Not worth the risk since there is not room to put below deck. The prop drives don’t have to be dunked to have issues. Just being used in the salt can wreak havoc. 

the argument for getting some on your list is that you can stand up and fish, but that isn't what you want to do.

Take a long look at the revo 13, not the revo 11.  For your size and where you plan on fishing, the 13 will be more accommodating, the 13 is faster and more stable.  It's also faster than the other kayaks on your list.  To improve the turning radius add a sailing rudder, it makes a difference.  I generally don't use reverse, but fishing around bridges, you will use it more than most, so test each kayak you're considering in reverse as well.