sunobskt

Florida related questions

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stayed on Lake Osborne, 10yd stretch of lake shore in back yard, counted 13 of these monster snail shells. All looked pristine but all devoid of a snail and I found them like that all over the lake and lake Ida also.

What happened to all the gators on both lakes? Only saw one on Osborne, none on Ida. Went to glades and immediately saw 3, only 20 min west. 

Also the pink stuff, gonna google it, but what layed it? Also everywhere. Was gonna post pics but computer being difficult. Will edit. Ok, quick google and monster snails r laying large piles of pink eggs. Still would like to know about gators. 

C66512DC-9B8A-4454-8B45-10C6DB6E164E.jpeg

8ED8EB59-B593-4617-A0FA-7609AB8D41F4.jpeg

Edited by sunobskt

4 hours ago, Al Sears said:

Mating season and Gators can be very aggressive at this time, would not push luck to close to shore line

yeah, i didn't fish the glades, was pleasant relief not having to contend with gators but still where the hell did they go? never saw one sunning on banks of any of the dozens of canals down there.  I have fished around them in the yak multiple, multiple  times  over the last 20 yrs. never had an issue but they get all my respect.

Where did they go, where are they at ????  Did not see any on /at several ponds  on Golf course which we know has several Gators

1 hour ago, Al Sears said:

Where did they go, where are they at ????  Did not see any on /at several ponds  on Golf course which we know has several Gators

where r u?

Was in Crystal River for 26 years, then Last year Moved to Sebring about  2mile from Lake Jackson

And your location ???

Homosassa ,Crystal River, Ozello all great Yak fishing areas  (shallow water)

I could be wrong but isn't mating season for gators in FL around May?

Males are very aggressive. Many communities have the gators taken out when they show up.  Of course with the canal system in FL they can roam around pretty easily.

Mating  Season Start/Stop, local Paper/ Fish Wildlife report mating season up on us so, I damm sure not going to go check what they are doing and report back

Often see them walking across Golf course, going from one pond to another.

They have started, its also been reported on our local news stations (for the tourist) and as far as seeing them...if you are around areas that have people walking around all the time.... and anyone see them, then it gets reported to FWC and they come and get them out of there (7ft and up)... and it seem like the gators know it... so they pretty much stay out of sight.. but also unless you know what to look for, you might not even see them...just like other wild life we have down here.. You might never see something.. but trust me they are there.... plenty of animals down here that folks have never seen...bobcat/land crab/ raccoon/black bear/gopher tortoise/ Turkey/ otter..oh we even have Crocodile...I laugh everytime people go crazy over manatees/sea turtles/Dolphins ... and i laugh even harder when i hear that some of these folks have lived down here for years and never seen some of these animals.... Its just like our snook.. you will hear people say they have never caught one and they have fish that area for yrs and yet most of us know they are there...:rav:oh and during mating season is when your avg person will see more gators.. they like to roam from place to place...just be aware of your surrounding and don't be walking little dogs close to shoreline..trust me i have seen tourist do this and when you tell them about gators... its like they are in shock.. their reply most of the time..."Well i have never seen one here"....Okay:banghd:

The place is crawling with all sorts of wildlife. Literally crawling. Every day now the news has stories of gators in someones pool.  18ft pythons captured in   Everglades etc.

I should have ended with a host of other wildlife... LOL... we are the dump site of unwanted animals...:banghd:  hell i have seen Gators in retention ponds

The shells are from Apple snails and the pink stuff is apple snail eggs.

There are number of different kinds including some native species. From what I have been told by biologist that did a research paper last year the pink egged apple snail is invasive (white egged are native), and are a favorite food of the Limpkin bird. 

The empty shells are from where a limpkin ate them.