Lipless Rat-L- trap lure

Rate this topic

Tonybags79

You should include a photo of the actual lure and size to help with the advice......also what species you intend to use it on Tony.   Welcome to the site.

Include a joke for being a new member and you'll get rave reviews.   

Me....I've used the all silver 1/2 oz.  Rat a long time ago for Striped Bass on light tackle during the day in the Fall.   We were hooking up with schoolies feeding hard on peanuts.   In hind sight I did really like the way it dragged through the water.   Haven't use one in a long time but looking back it could be used around the same time for Albies.   I still prefer metal and epoxies for them though.  Good Luck  Fly   

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

So there you have Tony and I'm sure others will chime in as well.   

Hope you're scrounging the inter webs for some cool jokes.  :naughty:

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

11 hours ago, Tonybags79 said:

I never used this type of lure and I’m curious what you guys think bout how it works , does it work better at night or day? Sunrise/sunset? Any input n advice will be appreciated thanx guys!!!!

Stop and go in shallow water, yoyo in deep. Some have a shimmy on the fall (Red Eye Shad), some have a nice swim/spiral down (Rippin Rap). 

rippin rap striper.jpg

We used to do very well with the smaller 1/2 oz rattle traps on schoolies both day and night. It was at time when peanuts as well as large bait were abundant. It was a very hot lure at times and somewhat cold at times too. For some reason the larger sizes never produced bigger fish for us either.  This was at a time when there was a pretty good abundance of larger fish too. Noise in a plug is funny thing to me. I know it helps sometimes but I also know it can be a turnoff sometimes. The rattle traps we used to use were very noisy.  It would stand to reason larger fish may be a little more wary. These days there are a lot of baits on the market like this. If you care to experiment, I would not chase colors with these lures. I would be more inclined to try a size of two with a few with different pitches to the noise or maybe ones without any rattles and compare them during a good bite. I would take a chrome with a black or blue back over just about any other color for either day or night. Best of luck.

I use them alot for freshwater.

Oddly enough, I liked them for shallow water flounder and fluke.  Mostly because those lures are bad in weedy spots and flatfish like sand.  Mostly use them in bay around bridges on the curved bottleneck areas with incoming flow.  Seems like the only thing that catches fish and not skates or Robins for me.

I use them as well for bass fishing and they work really well. In early Spring I fish them slow dragging them on the bottom. The fish will pick them up. As the water warms, I will cast and retrieve with a pause in between. This lets the bait drop  and many times this change in cadence triggers the fish to hit. These baits have a very tight wobble and make a lot of noise and get the fishes attention. Definitely a good all around lure to use and it catches fish.

Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

8 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Stop and go in shallow water, yoyo in deep.

This is great advice.  I've found the yoyo or jigging type retrieve generally works the best.  If there are fish feeding on smaller baits, especially peanuts, and kind of hanging around some sort of structure like a bridge piling then the yoyo retrieve is deadly.  They pretty much always hit on the drop. Once you solve the riddle it can be a lot of fun.

Great for dirty water. The fish are homing on on the sound and vibration since they can't see it

They make one with no hooks, just a hole that the leader goes through - killer fluke, drifting dirty water, lure. 

A decent short shank J hook, a bead so the lure doesn't sit on the knot, and a strip bait - all behind a fishfinder or off a dropper. 

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962