Evil-Bay

Metal Lip Swimmers

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

There are soo many choices to metal lip swimmers.  And the prices are soo high on the vast majority.

I see Creek Chub and Tsunami makes them also, but at a MUCH lower cost.  Is the action between the lower cost metal lip swimmers and higher cost swimmers that significant?

Looking at a Creek Chub Surfster 6".

Thoughts?

- Evil-Bay

52 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

There are soo many choices to metal lip swimmers.  And the prices are soo high on the vast majority.

I see Creek Chub and Tsunami makes them also, but at a MUCH lower cost.  Is the action between the lower cost metal lip swimmers and higher cost swimmers that significant?

Looking at a Creek Chub Surfster 6".

Thoughts?

- Evil-Bay

If you ever get the chance to dissect one, or smash one to pieces when they crapped out, you'll see why it's so cheap.  They are not properly made, only look good with their fancy paint jobs. Creek chub is just using the famous name. Not the same plug anymore. There are still quite a few affordable plug makers out there.  Even cheaper if you buy used plug in flea market. 

I’m glad someone brought this up.  I’m new to surf fishing and was fortunate to come across this awesome page. I have never seen a metal lip plug til couple months ago.  I live in  Northern California, and lures I use are Rapala.  Since joining, I see a lot of YoZuri Mag Darters as well as Daiwa SP Minnow being the more popular lures.  Bought my very first wooden plug here, RM Smith.  Since then, I’ve spent about $300 on more RM Smith and Gibbs.  I’ve seen a lot of SS and   BM on here that seems to be hot sellers, then there’s the GRS, After Hours, D Mag and a whole lot of other plugs that can get pretty high in price.  

Would anybody happen to have a list or care to share a list of more higher end plugs working down the list to lower quality plugs so we can get a idea of what to expect 

Thanks

Two that have withstood the test of time and can still be had for short money are the big plastic Atom 40 and Atom Junior 1 3/4oz

Posted (edited) · Report post

The cheap stuff have consistency problems. I bought five of the Tsunami metal lips once and only one swam decent. Spend a little more $ and you’ll get quality plugs like BM, CCW, Big fish etc which are reasonable in the long run and you get what you expect from plug makers who turn out these excellent wooden plugs plus they catch fish. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

40 mins ago, DZ said:

Two that have withstood the test of time and can still be had for short money are the big plastic Atom 40 and Atom Junior 1 3/4oz

AFAIK neither one is being produced right now.  I lost my last Atom 40 a couple of years ago and am still p.o.'ed about it. 

The tsunamis are junk. Not sealed properly, unbalanced, paint doesnt hold up, half of them dont even swim right. Affordable metal lips can be had for only a few dollars more that are WAY nicer.

3 hours ago, IFish4Free said:

I’m glad someone brought this up.  I’m new to surf fishing and was fortunate to come across this awesome page. I have never seen a metal lip plug til couple months ago.  I live in  Northern California, and lures I use are Rapala.  Since joining, I see a lot of YoZuri Mag Darters as well as Daiwa SP Minnow being the more popular lures.  Bought my very first wooden plug here, RM Smith.  Since then, I’ve spent about $300 on more RM Smith and Gibbs.  I’ve seen a lot of SS and   BM on here that seems to be hot sellers, then there’s the GRS, After Hours, D Mag and a whole lot of other plugs that can get pretty high in price.  

Would anybody happen to have a list or care to share a list of more higher end plugs working down the list to lower quality plugs so we can get a idea of what to expect 

Thanks

Just get Beachmaster or RM from SOL BST here.  Obtainable. Functional.  Durable.  Routinely see stuff $20-$35 bucks in almost every style.

Anything more than $35 dollars is largely art, and not something you need to be concerned with. 

There are other affordable makers, and I'm sure their fan base will chime in here, but you can't go wrong BM/RM.

You can fish the expensive stuff, but it's no more effective.  As mentioned...go too low and your plug won't last long.  Salt water surf and big fish take a toll.

The metal lip swimmer is just another type of tool we fishermen use. It has it's time and place to be used just like like every tool in a mechanic's tool box. 

As far as which is best to use, that all depends on what you need to do. Different creations by different builders do different things. 

I love the Afterhours Dorkster (not a metal lip) and mini swimmer. They're wood, cast a mile,  and draw interest whenever I use it. They do chip a bit but keep on producing. The Dorkster in white is always on my short list.