Little

FAKE NEWS New York TIMES fake news alert.

Rate this topic

129 posts in this topic

Just now, Shipwreck said:

I am in sales.  There is only one way to calculate sales to find the best selling widget.

Total items bought x purchase price = total sales.

Should be the same for books, or widgets, or lures.  Does not surprise me they have figured out a way to promote dog **** books by hyper partisan authors, loved by hyper partisan editors, and bought by hyper gullible readers.  Does not mean they are "Bestsellers".

I prefer my method.  

The NYT system as I understand it is designed to account for retail book sales and flag suspicious bulk sales designed to raise the ranking (i.e. if Jarrett went out and bought 10k copies of her own book to boost sales). 

Just now, Shipwreck said:

I am in sales.  There is only one way to calculate sales to find the best selling widget.

Total items bought x purchase price = total sales.

Should be the same for books, or widgets, or lures.  Does not surprise me they have figured out a way to promote dog **** books by hyper partisan authors, loved by hyper partisan editors, and bought by hyper gullible readers.  Does not mean they are "Bestsellers".

I prefer my method.  

Sales in only a small part of their calculations. They have other factors that influence the list; however, they do not release the manner in which they come up with the list. The name is misleading, but I think most book lists other than Amazon’s most purchased are really editorial recommendations 

The "best seller list" is a nice example of all things New York Times.  Nicely packaged, editorially driven, misleading information.  Let's see that chart again.  What is the abbreviation that is so popular... LULZ, I think it is.

"The most important bestseller list is The New York Times Best Seller List, and they are the worst culprit at this curated elitism. They readily admit that their list is only “reflective” of books that are selling at a certain number of bookstores and online retailers around the country—but not an actual best seller list.

You know why they have to admit this publicly? They were sued about it.

For most of the 20th century, they pretended to use a scientific method to count book sales, and claimed their list was authoritative and accurate.

And then William Blatty wrote a novel called The Exorcist (which has sold 10 million copies and became a famous movie). It sold more than enough copies to be high on the list for a long time, but initially did not appear on it.

He rightly claimed that the New York Times was intentionally excluding it for editorial reasons—the book was considered very controversial at the time—and claimed that their decision was costing him millions of dollars in sales.

He lost the case. Why?

Because the New York Times defense was that “the list did not purport to be an objective compilation of information but instead was an editorial product.”

The New York Times won the case, in multiple rulings all the way up to the Supreme Court, based on the argument that the list is not supposed to be accurate, but reflects their judgment."

When Trump said the inauguration crowd was the largest of all time, perhaps he was following the NYT book list protocol.

It explains why some really crappy books have "New York Times Bestseller" across the top.  CJ Box's drivel comes to mind.  Well, that and Valerie Jarrett's book.

16 mins ago, The Dude said:

What do you think? 

"Do you have any idea how the NYT creates its bestseller list? "

Unless rhetorical, your question implies that you come from a place of knowledge or familiarization on the topic.

I showed interest in your knowledge but since it was lacking on follow thru, I posed the question. "Do you?" 

By answering with the question of "what do you think", now I'm thinking you have nothing of value to offer and simply play the role of a perennial contrarian.

To be clear I really would be interested if you should have something of substance to counter on your implied knowledge.

If not, it's ok to say so.

1 hour ago, Gulf Vet said:

"Do you have any idea how the NYT creates its bestseller list? "

Unless rhetorical, your question implies that you come from a place of knowledge or familiarization on the topic.

I showed interest in your knowledge but since it was lacking on follow thru, I posed the question. "Do you?" 

By answering with the question of "what do you think", now I'm thinking you have nothing of value to offer and simply play the role of a perennial contrarian.

To be clear I really would be interested if you should have something of substance to counter on your implied knowledge.

If not, it's ok to say so.

Rinse wash repeat.....

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's a proprietary list where they describe the methodology should you want it. This thread is merely a study in ignorance (and most likely stems from some hacky right wing source pushing outrage). Comparing it to Glenn Beck conspiracy theories is nuts. 

Hang on a second - you don’t find it dishonest that their ‘Best SELLER’ list - one that I hear referenced all the time - isn’t a list of best selling books? Doesn’t take ANY partisan right/left ‘hacky’ anything to see how dishonest and fraudulent it is to call it a ‘best seller’ list. 

TimS

Words have meanings until the secret algorithm kick in and changes the meanings.

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’
’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

7 hours ago, jkrock said:

I bet the rich people bribe The NY Times to get their kids books on the list

It wouldn't be poor people doin that.

42 mins ago, TimS said:

Hang on a second - you don’t find it dishonest that their ‘Best SELLER’ list - one that I hear referenced all the time - isn’t a list of best selling books? Doesn’t take ANY partisan right/left ‘hacky’ anything to see how dishonest and fraudulent it is to call it a ‘best seller’ list. 

TimS

So is the Valerie Jarrett (D-Iran) book the 14th best selling book, or the like 1200th best selling book, like Amazon and Barnes and noble says?

Which of these?