levari

Garden worms

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I see big worms on the road outside my house. Can these worms be a good bait for stripers? Did anyone try them?

They can be used but don't last very long in the salt water. I have used them for winter flounder in the past with varying success.

Back when winter flounder were around here we would use a three hook rig we made ourselves. One hook with clam, one with bloodworm and one with earthworms (any type) Caught about equal between the bloods and earths but we had to change the earths more often as they washed out faster. Never failed that we always caught our largest on the clam. 

I'm raising some European night crawlers in a couple of bins of soil in my basement. They are supposed to be able to tolerate brackish water better than than the larger local night crawlers. I can't get out to try them until June when I have more time and they will be larger, but I will try to see how well they work compared to the locals and then post back.

You would probably need to use a whole roll of string just to keep them from falling off. And after a cast with the equipment we use you'll probably lose half of them.

9 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

You would probably need to use a whole roll of string just to keep them from falling off. And after a cast with the equipment we use you'll probably lose half of them.

I feel like I would only be throwing em on light tackle in the bay

20 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Back when winter flounder were around here we would use a three hook rig we made ourselves. One hook with clam, one with bloodworm and one with earthworms (any type) Caught about equal between the bloods and earths but we had to change the earths more often as they washed out faster. Never failed that we always caught our largest on the clam. 

we would do the same but a double rig sandworm & Clam or Sandworm and Tapeworm

Heard numerous people say little  piece of bloodworm and a big piece of night crawler (or a whole one) under a float catches weakfish. Maybe? If there are any inshore weakies left.