Angler #1

Recalling my first Boston Marathon

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I had received a call from my cousin who lived in Newton If I wanted to watch the Boston Marathon at the beginning of heart break hill in Newton. I did not have an idea of what a marathon was like to watch , so  I told him yes. My uncle picked me up at my home in Roxbury and brought me to there home. They made a few sandwiches and we headed of to where we would set up and watch the runners as they ran the course. My Uncle had permission to get a great spot on top of a store along the route at the base of what is called Heart Break Hill today. He had a written document of some kind that had all of the runners names along with there number . My cousin tells me that they do this every year and so I joined them on this particular day . We were able to look down from our perch and watch the whole race . As one of the runners goes by my cousin tell me that It was John Kelly a famous and well known runner of the times. I was being educated as this was a whole new experience for me . John Kelly would be the winner of the race this day and I sort of got caught up in the marathon hype over the years . Later in my life I would have one of my nieces marry  a grand son of John Kelly . Here we are today at the beginning of another race where countless thousands will be running for the crown of thorns to be placed upon the winners head Like some one who broke a world record fishing contest a memory of a life time for sure .

1 min ago, beerdoh said:

Now the winner also gets $150K. Sprint in the men's race today was the 3rd closest finish ever.

Now that is an incentive to participate for sure plus all of the commercials that go along with that

At the beginning of 2000, we used to live in an apartment complex off the Rt 135 in Natick across the West Natick train station. Once,  my kid who was about 12 or 13 and his buddy decided to watch the marathon as in was passing our complex. They took bikes and joined the crowd watching as first runners passed by. Soon they got bored and decided to get some ice cream across the road at the station's plaza. When they were done with ice-cream the major crowd of runners reached Natick and  safety personnel won't let them cross the road with bicycles. They stack there for a few hours.