Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Oliver

Value of qualified casting lessons

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sunday Sage and Rio came to one of my favourite reservoirs. Several of their representatives gave free casting lessons for an hour per Fisher . Simon Gawesworth was one of the guys Chris Anderson another  plus some U.K. casting instructors.This was a great day and true to say that everyone was very appreciative of the time that Sage and Rio gave. Quite amazing.

I got lucky and managed get a lesson on Spey casting. I would have been kidding myself to think I could have managed the same level on my own working from books or videos.

The experience was just first class.

Many of us openly admit to having a poor or just average cast. It does not have to be that way if you can find a way to fund some lessons.

Many of us chase a good cast by buying yet another rod.  We all know that is futile.

Being able to cast well is such a huge part of the enjoyment. It is not hard to understand now why so many guys find Spey casting so pleasant and almost addictive. It makes the long periods between fish way more enjoyable. The modern Sage 14 foot rod I used was feather weight. Very little physical effort required.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Many of us chase a good cast by buying yet another rod.  We all know that is futile.

You're reading my mail. 

My new years resolution for 2019 was to learn two handed casting / fishing.  So far I've made about as much progress on that one as I have on trimming a couple of inches off my gut.  Still 8 months left.  Cheers. 

Simon is an amazing caster as is Chris.  Good lessons are priceless.   Jon Cave is one of the finest and smoothest single hand casters I have ever seen.  He is 70 years old and he practices everyday.  I know I am always working on my cast.  I am lucky and get to be around some great casters and I am always watching their casts, hand motions etc.  

Glad you got to spend time with them

Just in case anyone reading this thread gets across to the UK the guy who taught me was Jim Fearn. He is a Master level APPGAI. You can google him up. Great teacher plus he guides to and might be able to help as regards finding salmon fishing in the UK.

The rod we cast was a Sage Igniter 14 foot 9 wt.

Now last time I Spey  cast on a spey rod was probably 8 years ago. So it was just like casting for the first time and I wish it had been another rod as I probably did not appreciate just how nice this rod is.

It is described as fast and can do spey Scandi and heavy sunken fly work.

Yet it was amazingly light and the fast action as it applies to a spey rod did not cause any problems casting it. Whilst Sage describe it as not for your every day Angler I can’t see why.  You can’t get any more accasional than first cast after a gap of 8 years.

If you don’t know anything about a rod before hand you get no preconceived ideas that it maybe hard to cast.

This is an expensive rod but class rarely ever comes cheaply.

With my obsessive personality there is a real danger I am about to embark on another fishing adventure. Quite looking forward to it.

Mike

I would love to spend an hour with Simon so he could "unlearn" me from all my bad habits.....  I have found the videos helpful to a point, but I need some real technique mentoring....  I will say for "spey" style casting, the opst heads make anyone look like a hero...

We're SO lucky today to have good access to quality casting instruction. I remember after I started seriously fly fishing, in the late 70's and in college, looking for a good fly casting instructor. I literally couldn't find one, even after lots of asking around. No one knew anyone who was really good. The only good answer I got was Joan Wulff, and she was in the Catskills in New York, and I was in Bloomington, Indiana! It was also a time before fly clubs took off and the only fly mag around was Fly Fisherman. Information was so much scarcer than today!

It wasn't until a few years later that sportsmens shows featured an expanded fly fishing presence and I got to meet (in Suffren NY) Lefty, Jerry Siem, Mel Krieger, and Lee Wulff, and watch all, including Steve Rajeff, cast. I got short lessons with Lefty and Jerry, and it was like finding treasure! Then I went home and practiced. Oh, so much easier to find now. The wisdom is to actually go get what's available!

Mar Sedotti

Casting lessons are invaluable in fly fishing.  I remember getting one on one from several pros who attended the Salty Flyrodders meetings and conclaves on Long Island, New York.  I also recall paying good money to a guy named Mark Sedotti, yup the guy in the above post, to sort of polish up my salt water fly casting.  Learned a lot from Marco.

I'm no pro but these days I am giving back to newbies buy teaching fly casting at the local Orvis store here in NJ on there 101 days.