Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stonesipher

Grouper Lionfish encounter

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Made me wonder. Some animals use toxins that they ingest as their own defense. Anyone think that this could end up in the groupers flesh? You are what you eat.

Saw a show about poison frogs, so this huge frog eats the poisonous frog, shortly there after dies and the small frog hops out of it's gaping mouth. Doesn't show if the grouper survived digestion.

That grouper knew exactly what it was doing, it just kept trying to position itself in the right place to make the kill. I suspect that fish has done this before and learned from the experience.

1 hour ago, KenY said:

Lionfish toxin is more like an irritant when it gets into you....like a bee sting.  Its not lethal if ingested.

Did not know that heard all these warning about the poison, thanks for the information.

Posted (edited) · Report post

not trying to sound like a dick, it's for a point

Lionfish are venomous not poisonous. You have to get finned by a lionfish. If you ever catch one handle it very carefully, then clip the top and bottom fins (spikey things and fins) off, and clean them. They have a beautiful white meat; I mean beautiful.

Edited by mwhitt80

There's been a lot of talk about groupers eating lionfish in Florida for the last few years. The fwc sent out a lot of warnings for people not to ineterfere/encourage that behavior.i guess people were trying to train groupers.