How was the fog on RB today?

I decided between the fog and the likeleyhood of a zoo on the bay to stay in the Harbor. Rangers at both the ramp and kayak launch said nobody on the water till you could see the Statue! Lifted at 11:15. Skunked.

5cb3f561abad7_harbornorth.PNG.424bcc759eb874720b423ab4afad87a7.PNG

The fog coming over the Verrazano from RB at 3 pm.

5cb3f55f499f8_harborsouth.PNG.799d5a8cfb6492a6d1516b2c942f9fa3.PNG

1 hour ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

It was pretty foggy. Can only see about 20 to 30 ft max at times. Sucks not getting any fish though. 

You're a braver man than I. I have a low opinion of powerboater judgment in perfect visibility!

There is fog and there's the phenomenon we observed this past Sun in the Raritan bay. Wuz like milk, toward half&half consistency.

Boaters were on their better behavior. When fog got the thickest, they wisely and completely disappeared.

Thank god you could kind of see the sun, that's how I managed to avoid sailing toward Portugal and came back to launch point .

Even sound that normally carries far over water, was muted.

I fished the RB from 11 pm - 7 am Sunday.  Fog came in quick and thick. It was very disorienting and even with the GPS on my finder it was a challenge to stay on curse with no visible landmarks. On our way in there were a lot of boats going pretty fast in the fog where there was less than 20' of visibility.  I ordered a compass to keep on my PFD.  

I was out yesterday from 630AM-1PM on RB. Fishing wasn’t great, but I got some pretty good GoPro video of that dense fog, glassy conditions and big bass swirling on the surface. I’ll post it after I get a chance to edit it down. 

The last two weeks has me hooked on trolling big wood behind the yak. 

3F3B84FD-EECE-4B50-9BB1-4BA94B09C5D1.jpeg

2DDDCB61-77C9-4398-AF68-3D6B4825170E.jpeg

F4A43428-98BF-4DE2-96CE-6BF5E783E549.jpeg

1 hour ago, Local24 SSP said:

I was out yesterday from 630AM-1PM on RB. Fishing wasn’t great, but I got some pretty good GoPro video of that dense fog, glassy conditions and big bass swirling on the surface. I’ll post it after I get a chance to edit it down. 

I was seeing a lot of big bass motionless on the surface. It was almost like they were sleeping, i was right on top of them before they would react. 

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Is that from Sat or yesterday?  Hell of a mark in that 1st pic. 

Both of the fish pics are from saturday. The mark was from Sunday. 

1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

I was seeing a lot of big bass motionless on the surface. It was almost like they were sleeping, i was right on top of them before they would react. 

Last weekend and this weekend we saw the same thing. We would connect only when dragging trollers deep under them. 

2 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Fish were deeper than usual. I broke my rudder bracket soninwas pedaling and using the paddle to steer and gave up after a while due to the fog and how many people were on the water. There was a lot of guys out there.

Ahh that sucks! I agree with the amount of boats, luckily it wasn’t to bad with clueless boaters. We had only one moron come close. Dumba$$ was going full throttle through the fleet of boats/kayakers. He attempted to stop and give us crap but it quickly back fired. 

6 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

Both of the fish pics are from saturday. The mark was from Sunday. 

Last weekend and this weekend we saw the same thing. We would connect only when dragging trollers deep under them. 

Ahh that sucks! I agree with the amount of boats, luckily it wasn’t to bad with clueless boaters. We had only one moron come close. Dumba$$ was going full throttle through the fleet of boats/kayakers. He attempted to stop and give us crap but it quickly back fired. 

That's gotta be disconcerting to say the least.  To hear boat coming at speed but you can not see it.  I don't even like when I hear one coming up from behind on a clear day.  Too many knuckleheads with disposable income out on the water who should not be.

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

2 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

F4A43428-98BF-4DE2-96CE-6BF5E783E549.jpeg

I think I saw you out on the water yesterday. I was in a dune colored Revo 13. Were you by chance fishing with one other guy? I also think I heard you shouting at that one boater. That speedster went by me slightly before he got to you. My head was on a swivel yesterday, particularly when I heard the sound of an engine approaching. A whistle is key to have in such conditions.  

I caught maybe a dozen bass yesterday, but none were keeper size. Maybe 2 of the fish were around 26". However, I was spooking a lot of stuff on the surface. Do you think that was bass or bunker?

Water quality was also pretty murky yesterday.