Kicks like a mule...

Rate this topic

chessie_yaker

2 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Worst gun I ever fired was a synthetic stocked Mossberg  pump gun. 3" foster slug. The barrel was a thin barreled smoothbore 18" barrel. Probably only weighed 6 1/2lb. 

After a couple seasons I sold it.  Lol. 

I can imagine that putting a hurting on some shoulder meat lol. Surprisingly enough, I think the worst recoil I’ve felt in a while was a small old Ithaca 20ga with Turkey loads. That thing couldn’t have weighed 5 lbs... I switched back to my 12ga after about 20 rounds and it was like plinking with a Red Ryder lol 

23 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

I can imagine that putting a hurting on some shoulder meat lol. Surprisingly enough, I think the worst recoil I’ve felt in a while was a small old Ithaca 20ga with Turkey loads. That thing couldn’t have weighed 5 lbs... I switched back to my 12ga after about 20 rounds and it was like plinking with a Red Ryder lol 

I have an Ithaca 20ga SxS as well. Also a Stevens 311 in 12ga. Both have hard plastic butt plates. Yeah they can bite. I don't think I've ever shot 3" shells in the 20. The Stevens only shoots 2 3/4". I've rolled a few deer with it using buckshot. 

6 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

I have an Ithaca 20ga SxS as well. Also a Stevens 311 in 12ga. Both have hard plastic butt plates. Yeah they can bite. I don't think I've ever shot 3" shells in the 20. The Stevens only shoots 2 3/4". I've rolled a few deer with it using buckshot. 

I’ll have to check the Stevens 320 I have... only ever ran 2 3/4 slugs through it at the indoor range and took it to shoot clays one time because, why not lol. Never checked the stamping to see if it will take 3”ers. The Ithaca was something a buddy borrowed from his buddy to get used to before we went into the woods. Bottom eject pump. I can honestly say I stared at it, rolling it back and forth looking at how the heck it was going to eject a spent shell and not interfere with the next getting ready to slide in. I told him to ask his buddy what he’d want for it just because it’s a neat old shotgun. I’d use it for rabbit or other small upland stuff. Guy wouldn’t let go of it. That reminds me I should scout gunbroker for one. It was a really neat gun.

How do you like your SxS? I still can’t decide if the next shotgun I get is going to be one of those or an OU. 

Edited by chessie_yaker

6 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’ll have to check the Stevens 320 I have... only ever ran 2 3/4 slugs through it at the indoor range and took it to shoot clays one time because, why not lol. Never checked the stamping to see if it will take 3”ers. The Ithaca was something a buddy borrowed from his buddy to get used to before we went into the woods. Bottom eject pump. I can honestly say I stared at it, rolling it back and forth looking at how the heck it was going to eject a spent shell and not interfere with the next getting ready to slide in. I told him to ask his buddy what he’d want for it just because it’s a neat old shotgun. I’d use it for rabbit or other small upland stuff. Guy wouldn’t let go of it. That reminds me I should scout gunbroker for one. It was a really neat gun.

How do you like your SxS? I still can’t decide if the next shotgun I get is going to be one of those or an OU. 

SxS take me back to much simpler days. The Stevens was my dad's. He's been gone now a couple years. I have a pheasant on the wall he shot with that gun. He'd let me carry/drag it when Mom finally allowed me to tag along with him.  It's a work horse. Double triggers. M/F barrels. Shoots too tight with birdshot but it loves #1buck. 

The Ithaca belonged to my uncle. He's still around but his hunting days are done. It's got M/F barrels that I'm gonna get the chokes opened up for woodcock and or quail. Probably skeet/IC. I would beg him for years to let me use it. He never let me. Lol. When my dad passed he gave it too me. My kids both hunt so I'm sure one of them will fall in love with it. 

I'll never sell those guns. 

Those 2 and a Sears Roebucks 16ga pump that belonged to my grandfather will always be in my house. Could never sell them. 

3 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

SxS take me back to much simpler days. The Stevens was my dad's. He's been gone now a couple years. I have a pheasant on the wall he shot with that gun. He'd let me carry/drag it when Mom finally allowed me to tag along with him.  It's a work horse. Double triggers. M/F barrels. Shoots too tight with birdshot but it loves #1buck. 

The Ithaca belonged to my uncle. He's still around but his hunting days are done. It's got M/F barrels that I'm gonna get the chokes opened up for woodcock and or quail. Probably skeet/IC. I would beg him for years to let me use it. He never let me. Lol. When my dad passed he gave it too me. My kids both hunt so I'm sure one of them will fall in love with it. 

I'll never sell those guns. 

Those 2 and a Sears Roebucks 16ga pump that belonged to my grandfather will always be in my house. Could never sell them. 

There are some guns that one could never put a price on. My uncle inherited the guns my grandfather hunted with until just before I was born. He and my great grandfather would hunt upstate New York. Heard many stories from both of them. My father was just into fishing, but my grandfather taught me about guns. He always said whenever I wanted to see them all I have to do is ask. And he would. He’d open the cabinet and take them out carefully, one at a time and explain what it was, what you’d hunt with it, how it worked and let me handle it and work the actions. My favorite was an old browning humpback 12ga that he always said was his favorite. Thinking about it makes me want to call my uncle and see if he’d part with it. 

Worst: Weatherby 340 Magnum.  Ruger #1...not something I will be doing again.

Plus Side (surprisingly):  Winchester 458 Magnum.  More a firm push/shove versus the Weatherby which is a "crack".  On the 458 I had a box of Norma (the grain weight escapes me) and put them all downrange.  That was a nicely stocked Model 70.

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

One shot from a Single shot Stevens .410, drove me back 10 yards, dislocated both shoulders, and blew apart the building the target was taped to. Hey....somebody had to say it. :D

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****