Mike Oliver

Sorry done before need TH line 550 grains

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Looking for a tough find. WF fly line integrated into running line. Head length 33 to 35 feet. Head weight Around 550 grains. Need an Interemidate and floating version.

Or best cut and splice solution.

line to be cast Over head.

Hope you can help.

Mike

Hey Mike

I like Skagit heads with a tip from a cheap 12wt line. Can be had in floating and intermediate the both of them. Sierra trading Post has floating and intermediate Skagit heads. You can find 12wt heads on eBay. I have personal experience with these setups and they work great. I can PM or email you links and more details if you like. You'll have to splice everything together but it's not bad and with your all ceramic guides the splices still feel good coming through the guides. 

Mike,

Here's a link to short list of all the fly lines with cores over 50lb breaking strength and grain weights over 500gr that I could find. Some are shooting heads, but most are integrated. It includes floating, intermediate, and sinking lines. I also included a small list of the high core strength running lines I could find. 

If that Google Drive link doesn't work for you, here's a link to a PDF download: High Core Strength Lines for TH.pdf

Seems like the Rio Tropical GT is the only one that ticks all the boxes fairly well. Integrated, 550gr @ 36'. 

I wanted more options, so I've decided to go with a shooting head system and building my own heads, need be. I could integrate the head to the running line if I so wanted, but I rather like 1) The flexibility of a loop to loop connection allows as far as being able to switch out heads w/o needing to carry spare spools, and 2) The physical indication of the head at the rod tip at night. I know you have an indicator on your line and use experience to judge that, but I'll be starting off with this setup for now. I don't plan on retrieving the head into the guides if I can help it, so I'm not too worried about the loop getting stuck in the SL ceramics. 

I ordered a Monic GSP 0.038" running line the other day. I'm optimistic about the claims of super high strength, durability, and lack of stretch. It's the running line I currently have in mind for Mark II. Will report back on casting & handling by the end of the week, and durability by the end of the season. I've yet to have a running line last much longer than that. 

As for OH casting heads, I currently have three broad categories in mind: a floater, a slow sink, and a dredging line.

For the floater, I think I'll weld a couple Skagit heads together and trim as necessarily until I get the length and weight I'm looking for, which is 650-750gr @ 35-38' for Mark II. If you could a lop off a few more feet strategically, you could definitely get 550-650gr @ 33-35'. 

For the slow sinker, I picked up an SA UST Short 650gr 36.4' sink 3/4. It doesn't have anywhere near the authority I was hoping for on my Pandion, but it might turn into a different animal on Mark II. SA also makes these UST Short floaters and intermediates: 525gr @ 33.8' and 590gr @ 35.0'. You could trim the 590gr head and get a touch over 550gr @ 33-34'. 

For the dredging line, I picked up some T-23 level T material by Airflo. 700gr @ 30' yields 23.333 gr/ft, state sink rate is 10 ips. This is kind of irrelevant given that you want floating/int lines, but I just threw it in for kicks. 

I think what we're looking for differs a little bit. I'm looking for slightly heavier, aggressive lines that can cast relatively smoothly (T-23 won't do this, but that's the price) and handle very large/tough-to-cast flies. Windy outfront conditions are still on my mind, but not quite the priority. I figure my setup should be able to handle them reasonably well, and still perform comfortably given my less aggressive style in calmer conditions. 

Hope that helps,

Dan

Edited by DanTheBassMan

Dan,

Fwiw with my pac bay and a UST sink 5 650 grain head I was able to send 11" very heavily dressed Buford flies 80' into a dead on headwind and a significant one at that. It turns them over. 

You'll have a real hoot with the MkII if the taper and weight distribution is anything similar to that. 

Also you won't have issues with loop to loops through your guides. I've been doing it for the past year and had little issue. Ceramics make them smoother than snakes. The flexibility they give you is well worth it. I retrieve the head way into the guides pretty frequently and it's no big deal. You have to do a few roll casts and let the line slip through your fingers to get it out but it's easy. 

Mike

I have a few Airflo TH #11-12 Beach lines left. One is open with leader attached - 2 are new-in-box.

I'll mail to your Cape rental house if you want.  Or bring them with me in May and figure out how to get them to you.

I can always leave them at the Preserve office house for you.

BTW - did you ever build that #9 custom X-Fast blank?

Herb

12 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Looking for a tough find. WF fly line integrated into running line. Head length 33 to 35 feet. Head weight Around 550 grains. Need an Interemidate and floating version.

Or best cut and splice solution.

line to be cast Over head.

Hope you can help.

Mike

Assuming it is for cold water...

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Beulah Serum Tip system for my Opal 9/10...It's integrated floating, plus 3 different 12 ft tips...Total 550 grains, total length 130 ft... Beulah Canada confirmed to me that they should have it next week...

Hope it helps...

Cheers

^..^

Edited by snapper1

6 hours ago, HL said:

Mike

I have a few Airflo TH #11-12 Beach lines left. One is open with leader attached - 2 are new-in-box.

I'll mail to your Cape rental house if you want.  Or bring them with me in May and figure out how to get them to you.

I can always leave them at the Preserve office house for you.

BTW - did you ever build that #9 custom X-Fast blank?

Herb

Hi Herb

Thanks that’s very kind. I can pick them up from you when we meet up,for a fish up north.

Afraid I have not gotten around to building that #9. It is so stiff. Bit scary. Fastest blank I have ever handled.

I really should build it. With  a line on it should be a bit tamer. 

When I have sorted out the probs going on I will make a start.

Be good to spend time with you in May. Looking forward to it.

Mike

4 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Assuming it is for cold water...

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Beulah Serum Tip system for my Opal 9/10...It's integrated floating, plus 3 different 12 ft tips...Total 550 grains, total length 130 ft... Beulah Canada confirmed to me that they should have it next week...

Hope it helps...

Cheers

^..^

Thanks. So looks like it is coming back into availability again.

I am not a fan of fishing fast sink lines that feature a floating rear portion but sometimes there is little option but to try one out.

Mike

Dan and Red

Thanks.  When I can get my head cleared I will study your suggestions .

As an aside I cast the Rio Inflight Skagit head 550 grains with a ten foot fast sink tip. 100 grains This is a dual density head floating rear portion and Intermediate front portion.  On the 14 foot Mark II you can unplug the line and keep loops between running line and back of head just outside the tip top.

It went very well. Some guys might wish to hang on another 50 grains and move up to 700. 

Iwas casting with a world class Spey guy the weekend and he amazed by making Spey casts with this line set up on such a very stiff rod.

The Indian verses the bow. This could be useful in some spots we fish.

mike

5 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Dan and Red

Thanks.  When I can get my head cleared I will study your suggestions .

As an aside I cast the Rio Inflight Skagit head 550 grains with a ten foot fast sink tip. 100 grains This is a dual density head floating rear portion and Intermediate front portion.  On the 14 foot Mark II you can unplug the line and keep loops between running line and back of head just outside the tip top.

It went very well. Some guys might wish to hang on another 50 grains and move up to 700. 

Iwas casting with a world class Spey guy the weekend and he amazed by making Spey casts with this line set up on such a very stiff rod.

The Indian verses the bow. This could be useful in some spots we fish.

mike

Mike, those iFlight Skagit heads are great.  I have them in 475, 575 and 600g.  Wish they still made them.  I think they originated in 2013 and were on closeout at Sierra T.P.  You are right that they are short enough that with the right length rod (11.5 + ft) and an 8-10' tip (e.g. T-10 or iMow) they can be cast with the whole head and a bit of overhang outside the rod. 

I have thought about trying them with an intermediate running line because that short floating section beginning at the rear of the head, isn't really going to stop the front head (+ tip) from staying put underwater, assuming you add a heavy fast sink tip, and it does help unplug the line.  The int sink running line (in theory) would prevent the whole line from being washed around on top, or dragged to shore.  Problem is finding a decent intermediate sinking running line (no coiling no incessant stretching).  Scientific Anglers makes one (has a mono core ) but I haven't tried it.  The running line portion of an older cheap intermediate Scientific Anglers Tarpon line (braided mono core) is what I am going to try next.  Now I just need to find a method to create a weld or loop in the end of the intermediate running line.   For slightly deeper presentations the Scientific Anglers Skagit Extreme Intermediate heads or "Third Coast" Skagit Intermediate heads are probably going to be a better match.  They are also mostly 22' to 23' heads so adding 10' tip will get you to 32'-33' total.

Edited by Killiefish

Mike

If need be I can get a lot more technical and guide you through my setup in great detail. I use lighter Skagit heads and heavier tips so the energy transfer is smoother between the two and I get better turnover as well. I splice by whipping the joints with fine mono thread. Could fuse them but I've had spotty luck with that myself so I go with what I know works. 

John Norris has signature lines and the Atlantic integrated WF Spey which come F, H, I and S2/3 up to 10/11 which head is 40ft. Normal selling price is £19,99 but they are sometimes discounted to £15 and I think I saw £12 as well. They might make easy TH OH WF line just cutting front taper shorter and loop it for leader but someone needs to buy one and measure head weight and diameters every three feet to know what length and taper 550gr comes?

I have cast old 11/12 Spey WF line rear tapers which used to be long when fishing pike and they have been fine with huge flyes and there line hand grip when hauling comes good and blunt tip is not bad.

Esa

Killie

They certainly cast very well.I have got two of them. A 550 head and I think the other is a 720 head. I got them purely to try and find lines of around these weights. I only ever cast one of them into water once so don’t have a clue how they behave once in the water. Hope to put that right in May.

Since casting a real Spey rod and being shown the ropes by a qualified instructor I am in serious danger of getting hooked . Be even better if we had affordable quality river fishing in the UK to justify the investment.

What  tickled me is that when presented with a rod I never even enquired as to its length. I just tried to cast it as directed. Later I found out it was a 14 footer.

Compare this to surf TH fly rods where there is a huge reluctance and fear to go beyond 11 feet. Hard for me to figure this. How many river guys insist on 11 footers.

I think the running line to the iflights is an Intermediate. I purchased it at the same time or Oakman may have given it to me. Will try and find out who made it.

What about the running line taken from an Airflo Cold Water Ridge Intermediate. That’s an I Line and handles pretty well. I suspect it is weldable to.

mike