chitala383

Smoking whole chickens

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

On Saturday I plan on smoking a couple of whole chickens. I've never smoked a chicken before. I'll be using my lazy master built electric smoker. I was thinking of brining in beer, water, peppercorn, garlic, onion, mustard seed. Then a basic rub with brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, maybe some Rosemary and sage too. Then smoking with apple. Any thoughts? Tips?

I'm also going to be doing some pork belly burnt ends. I've done those before, they're fantastic.

I have brined and smoked a Turkey before in my masterbuilt and had good results.  Never did a chicken.  I would be hesitant to add the brown sugar as a rub if you already brined it in beer.  I am not sure if it would be too sweet. I tried the Turkey once with a coke (cola) recipe and it was horrible.     But let us know how it turns out.

Just be aware the skin will become leather, just peel it off the meat will still have a great smoke flavor and the leftover make the best chicken salad you've ever had

Edited by Sandflee

I go hotter with chickens, 325 if I can get it there. Rather have crispy skin and chicken doesn’t need low and slow to be tender like a brisket, butt or ribs.  

I also spatchcock my chickens and it does work out better. As far as temperature, I've done 250 to 375 and didn't find much difference. So I do them at higher temps now. 

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Just be aware the skin will become leather, just peel it off the meat will still have a great smoke flavor and the leftover make the best chicken salad you've ever had

What he said.  You won't want to eat the skin. But the chicken salad is amazing.

The chickens came out incredible! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I brined them the night before and then got the seasoning on about 3 hours before they hit the smoker. I did them at about 300 for 2.5 hours. I wanted to use apple but I guess I must've used it all, so I used cherry instead. I can't wait to make some chicken salad now! I'll definitely be making these again.

Also, pork belly burnt ends were amazing as always

0420191603_HDR.jpg.2245fb2aac1ae3f01bad23dcb022f25e.jpg

Edited by chitala383

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Cherry, apple,etc the fruit trees are mild in the smoke flavor which personally I prefer Vs let’s say mesquite 

Agreed. I've been using pecan a lot recently. If I want a little extra deepness I'll mix a fruit wood with hickory or mesquite.

ill only do chickens if im doing something else and have room....really only good for chicken salad (even though its really good chicken salad).