JigginforBiggins

Shimano saragosa vs Daiwa Saltist for surf/jig

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello to all, I am a new member this is my first post looking for some reel advice. I have a shimano saragosa 8k I’ve been swapping between a chunking surf rod and fluke jigging rod I just acquired a daiwa saltist 8k have not much experience with daiwa spinning reels. Wondering if anyone had some knowledge if one would perform better than the other at said tasks ? Thanks in advance and appreciate everyone and everything this sight has to offer! 

Edited by JigginforBiggins

You have two nice reels.  I am a total Daiwa fan boy but both reels should be fine if you are just soaking bait in the surf.  In my opinion an 8k series reel is too big for throwing jigs into the surf.  I would consider slimming down your reel for throwing metal into the surf to the 4k-6k range.

You won't get much distance with 8k series spinning reels from the surf.  Have you ever thrown a conventional reel from the surf?  You will dramatically increase your distance. 

40 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

You have two nice reels.  I am a total Daiwa fan boy but both reels should be fine if you are just soaking bait in the surf.  In my opinion an 8k series reel is too big for throwing jigs into the surf.  I would consider slimming down your reel for throwing metal into the surf to the 4k-6k range.

You won't get much distance with 8k series spinning reels from the surf.  Have you ever thrown a conventional reel from the surf?  You will dramatically increase your distance. 

I have a tranx on an abu I toss spoons off the rocks with but haven’t had the chance to get a conventional set up for the surf. Do you have any suggestions you would like to share as far as rod and reel? I want to start throwing plugs 1-3 oz.  As far as the saltist I took it out of box last night and realized it is a massive reel! Much larger and heavier than the saragosa I can’t swap it for a smaller model  I plan on matching it up with my TFO GIF mag heavy almost like they were meant for each other. Next trip I get out I’ll compare the reels casting and post what I find. Thanks for the input/help 

11 mins ago, JigginforBiggins said:

I have a tranx on an abu I toss spoons off the rocks with but haven’t had the chance to get a conventional set up for the surf. Do you have any suggestions you would like to share as far as rod and reel? I want to start throwing plugs 1-3 oz.  As far as the saltist I took it out of box last night and realized it is a massive reel! Much larger and heavier than the saragosa I can’t swap it for a smaller model  I plan on matching it up with my TFO GIF mag heavy almost like they were meant for each other. Next trip I get out I’ll compare the reels casting and post what I find. Thanks for the input/help 

I am in total agreement about the 8k and the size.  I am fishing in MD/NC from the surf, so we may have slightly different conditions . 

If I am fishing with 8oz and bait, I am throwing 12' - 13' surf casting rods with a Daiwa BG30h.  I throw Daiwa Ballistics for my rods and a I have a CTS S7 1305 being built.  Reels are spooled with 20lb mono with a 50lb shock leader. 

When casting for blues/spannish from the surf using 1oz metal lures I am only using an 8' Tsunami Airwave spinnning rod with a Daiwa BG3500 or Penn Conflict 4000.  Both reels are spooled with 30lb braid. 

Lots of rod/reel options out there - you just need to dial in the size you need for your application.  You can always sell the Saltist if you can't return it.