Thumb-Burner

looking for a cheap but decent spinning rod

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a cheap (under 50 bucks) but not cheaply made 7' spinning rod for largemouth bass fishing from my kayak...  brands mean nothing to me.. would love to have something like my piscifun chaos reel that cost me under 50 and is better than some 100 dollar reels..

Open to suggestions..    i really like quality gear but just can't spend much right now on this.

currently considering a fiblink and a abu vengeance

41 mins ago, onthefly said:

I have 5 Berkley lighting rods in various sizes about 40 bucks nicely made rods for that little coin

second that good rods for the money

Berkley Cherrywood if they still make em. Got mine for $18 at Bass Pro. Been using it for LMB for 5 years or so. Usually plays backup to my Duckett but still gets a fair bit of action when I'm fishing heavy cover 

22 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Fw rod?

yeah- definitely

I have a 6'ML for trout and 6'6" MH for LMB   I'm sure they make it in 7foot as well....  my shop only had the shorter length in stock.  nice rod with cork grips and decent Fuji-like guides....   whats not to like?

Cant find fault in any of the suggestions so far.   

Also the field and stream tec specs arent too shabby, but I'd prefer to get them on sale than pay the ask.

The LIghtning rod has developed quite a reputation in the bang for buck category.  The cherrywoods get favorable reviews as well and are incredibly inexpensive.  

Son 1 and I are enormous fans of the recently discontinued Cabelas tourny trail rods.  They run a hair on the lighter weight and lighter action for their ratings, and are wonderfully sensitive.  I've got a sample of different things from ugly stick to avid and this is the one I grab most often.   If you buy one and don't like it I will buy it from you.  

I’ve caught LMB, Stripers, and Specks with my 2 pc., 7’-0” MED/FAST Ugly Stik Elite - one of my favorite rods, paid $49.95 for it.  OH

Berkley Shock rods....

I have 2 of the casting rods and am very impressed. A little more moderate action, not all tippy and fast. I consider it a good thing.

6 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

Berkley Shock rods....

I have 2 of the casting rods and am very impressed. A little more moderate action, not all tippy and fast. I consider it a good thing.

I know those are " made for braid". I only fish mono in freshwater, I guess they would still be good and major difference is action?

Yes, you can still use them for mono, why not.... :)

But they are not fast and tippy rods. All a matter of preference,

I like the faster rods from the boat where I can overhead cast and not think about clipping a branch.

The shock rods are my bank fishing rods, the load easier with shorter motions and because of the price I don't worry so much about them banging on the bushes and trees some.