Thumb-Burner

Looking for diamond in the rough inexpensive freshwater rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

Daiwa Samurai rod, 7 foot, medium heavy. It casts 1/4 oz to 1 oz. Costs about $15 in the BOGO free promotions at Dicks. You have to get two, of course, for $30. Comes with reel!

I use mine for snagging bunker. Casts a snagger for crazy distances and has a firm control on snagged bunker. 

Salmon, Trout, Steelhead magazine reviewed the light rated rod for trout and gave it a thumbs up a couple years ago.

We have the size down from that.  6' medium up to 5/8 oz maybe?   Something like that.  It'll throw a hair more OK enough, like 3/4 oz. 

Super cheap, goes on sale for $14.99 even without the BOGO.   Nice looking.  IMO very moderate action.  To the point of probably being slow action. 

My son uses it as his beater rod for catfishing at night (bullhead and channel and white... not giganormous catfish) .

Edited by 55555s

3 hours ago, valentine said:

When I was starting out fishing, I considered them to be a serious fishing tool and I'm sure there are plenty of anglers who still do.

So true.  I did too. Now that you mention this, it is funny how perspective changes. 

15 mins ago, DerrickT said:

I own 6 of them, 2 are my daughters.  2 are set up for flounder off the boat, 1 spinning, 1 conventional. Other 2 are set up for bass.  5.5' ultra light up to 7' medium heavy.  Never had any issues with any of them including setting hooks.

You mentioned my concern.  I need something to use with 1/8-1/4 oz jigheads with flukes and plastic worms and small shad bodies for spotted bass.  Need something with sensitive tip that can set hook.  Was concerned about the glass tip on ugly sticks

Not really a bass rod, but I've caught plenty of them with mine. I have a couple Quantum 7' Teton Trout rods. They're ultralight, and by the name intended to fit the spinning market for trout anglers, but a decent rod for bass or panfish if you like fishing on the lighter end of the lure spectrum. 

There was a tidal river in Md that I often fished for bass, and panfish, that at times got hammered by the local bass clubs. All that pressure made the bass fishing tough. I discovered that I could still catch them by going to fly tackle or ultralight spinning gear. I got an ultralight outfit one year, 5'6" rod I think, and since the tournaments were turning off the bass in that river, I started looking for Crappies, Bluegills and Perch, and found out the bass would hit the various small lures I was tossing and would ignore the more typical bass lures. So, I added one of those Teton Trout rods to my collection, and liked it so much, added a second. Both under $25 for the rod. 

10 hours ago, Batman67 said:

Berkley cherrywood. $25

x2 on this. I had about 4 at one time. The light spinning, medium heavy spinning, medium heavy casting, and medium light casting. My dad snapped the tip off of the medium light casting and I closed the trunk on the light spinning. For the price, I didn't really care though and I buy them for my friends who don't fish much but want to come with me. Although there was a point where I used the light spinning more than some of my more pricey rods. Really good bang for your buck.

>>>Berkley cherrywood

Yes, I bought one of those last season for trout and panfish. Seven footer, I think medium light. I believe it's a composite graphite rod. It's a step up from the Shakespeare micro series rods for only about five bucks more. 

I can't get an accurate cast like I can with a better rod (like the Shimano Compre spinning rod, $99), but I can get the cast basically around the general area most times. For me, that's the downside of el cheapo rods, but it's not by much.