Thumb-Burner

Looking for diamond in the rough inexpensive freshwater rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a cheap (under 50 bucks) but not cheaply made 7' spinning rod for largemouth bass fishing from my kayak...  brands mean nothing to me.. would love to have something like my piscifun chaos reel that cost me under 50 and is better than some 100 dollar reels..

Open to suggestions..    i really like quality gear but just can't spend much right now on this.

I bought a Lews speed stick for like, $39 on sale last year around this time. Excellent rod. Very sensitive, plenty of power and super light. 

Okuma and Tica are good in that range. Had my hands on an Ugly Stik G2 or something the other day, it wasn't disastrous. Doesn't Piscifun sell rods too?

From experience I have a Mitchell AvocetR medium proved to be a great rod caught a lot of largemouth throwing everything from spinners to a sinker. Even caught a 34 in Muskie on it. I believe at the time the combo was less then 50 in my experience was well worth it 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Savage Gear   bushwacker   XLNT2 7′ 213cm 10-40g – 2sec

Edited by glos

Daiwa Samurai rod, 7 foot, medium heavy. It casts 1/4 oz to 1 oz. Costs about $15 in the BOGO free promotions at Dicks. You have to get two, of course, for $30. Comes with reel!

I use mine for snagging bunker. Casts a snagger for crazy distances and has a firm control on snagged bunker. 

Salmon, Trout, Steelhead magazine reviewed the light rated rod for trout and gave it a thumbs up a couple years ago.

Edited by TroutGhost

One more vote for the berkely Rods very sensitive and affordable. I don’t see the need to spend big bucks on freshwater gear as it usually holds up great long term. 

I might catch heat for saying this, but the Ugly Stick Gx2 is a great rod for ~$30. You can't break it. Some people complain of not being able to set a hook on it but I've never had an issue.

3 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

I might catch heat for saying this, but the Ugly Stick Gx2 is a great rod for ~$30. You can't break it. Some people complain of not being able to set a hook on it but I've never had an issue.

Nothing wrong with Ugly Stick rods. Lots of good fish are taken with them. When I was starting out fishing, I considered them to be a serious fishing tool and I'm sure there are plenty of anglers who still do.  Too many anglers get caught up in the whole "expensive tackle is best" mindset. A good fisherman with a K-Mart rod and reel will out-fish the guy with a thousand dollar outfit if expensive tackle guy lacks the knowledge and experience to capitalize on the benefit the better tackle provides. I love cheap rods and use them all the time. 

On 4/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, Thumb-Burner said:

I'm looking for a cheap (under 50 bucks) but not cheaply made 7' spinning rod for largemouth bass fishing from my kayak...  brands mean nothing to me.. would love to have something like my piscifun chaos reel that cost me under 50 and is better than some 100 dollar reels..

Open to suggestions..    i really like quality gear but just can't spend much right now on this.

I have 3 or 4 7' Ugly Stik GX2 rods. They work great. I use them for trolling with portable downriggers, casting smaller lures in the 1/8 oz - 1/2 oz range, as bait rods when I'm fishing shiners with a 1oz slip sinker or when I'm using a slip bobber rig. For $39-ish, you can't complain about the versatility of the Ugly Stik rods. I've caught rainbows, smallies up to 5 lbs, landlocked salmon and lakers in the 5-7lb range without any issue. I've even caught a 4lb larry when targeting 'bows with the Ugly Stik.

Edited by zak-striper

3 hours ago, valentine said:

Nothing wrong with Ugly Stick rods. Lots of good fish are taken with them. When I was starting out fishing, I considered them to be a serious fishing tool and I'm sure there are plenty of anglers who still do.  Too many anglers get caught up in the whole "expensive tackle is best" mindset. A good fisherman with a K-Mart rod and reel will out-fish the guy with a thousand dollar outfit if expensive tackle guy lacks the knowledge and experience to capitalize on the benefit the better tackle provides. I love cheap rods and use them all the time. 

Well put. As an old friend of mine always says, a poor craftsman blames his tools.

7 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

I own 6 of them, 2 are my daughters.  2 are set up for flounder off the boat, 1 spinning, 1 conventional. Other 2 are set up for bass.  5.5' ultra light up to 7' medium heavy.  Never had any issues with any of them including setting hooks.