cweed

Lexa 300 ?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

There is a Lexa 300 reel that has a clicker with 5.3 gear ratio and I'm trying to determine if its basically the same as the 300h reel without clicker. Anyone have any experience with these reels

LOL...

It's a bit different.

It's centrifugally braked vs magnetically....SO all the externally adjustable benefits of the really strong and variable mag brake go out the window.  Along with the stainless steel gears of the HD. 

Which then kinda make it a ho hum reel unless you can score it for cheap.

Take a look at the Okuma Komodo too...CLicker, stainless gearing, non disengaging levelwind.  Non- disengaging levelwinds don't stress the levelwind worm and pawl when pulling out snags.....which happens much more when chunking or bottom fishing.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm considering this reel for deep water fluke and I liked the slower gear ratio. It's never simple

13 hours ago, cweed said:

Thanks for the comparison. I'm considering this reel for deep water fluke and I liked the slower gear ratio. It's never simple

If you are not casting it for distance you wont miss the magged brake in favor of the clicker.  Also the gears, while not stainless have years of use without issues.  Seems the ratio and the stregnth is what you need and the clicker is a nice cherry on top if you need it.  My completely biased .02

I personally still feel the Tranx 300 is the cream of the crop in this class of reels. 5.8 and strong gearing. Solid clutch. And also the most comfortably shaped reel for fluking IMHO. 

42 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

I personally still feel the Tranx 300 is the cream of the crop in this class of reels. 5.8 and strong gearing. Solid clutch. And also the most comfortably shaped reel for fluking IMHO. 

Agree - and twice the price

Overkill for fluking

6 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Agree - and twice the price

Overkill for fluking

But who pays full price anyhow? There are always deals to be had.

And for deep water fluke it is worth it compared to some mid level conventional reels. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, cweed said:

Fishing deep water with a higher gear ratio is more efficent.

Quicker time from bottom to surface equals faster rebaiting turn over which equals more time with your bait in the strike zone.

How much weight are you bottom fishing with and how deep?

Edited by Beastly Backlash

12 hours ago, Jewjitzu said:

But who pays full price anyhow? There are always deals to be had.

And for deep water fluke it is worth it compared to some mid level conventional reels. 

I will take my Komodos over the Tranx.:D

Regardless, I love a fast low pro for fishing deep for moderate to small sized fish, they are worth it over most conventional reels. The thumb bar, cranking speed, drag power, amoung others, can definitely help you get more fish in the boat.

10 hours ago, cweed said:

10-12 oz over 125' max for fluke

I have done that deep and a bit deeper for snappers using 16oz with a 7.1 gear ratio Komodo, I did not feel I lacked in power and with near 40ipt, I could get my line in in short order.

Don't over look a higher gear ratio Lexa.