flyrad10

Carlls River Maps

5 posts in this topic

Anyone have a good map of the Carlls River between Belmont State Park and Sunrise Hwy. The area is an impenetrable swamp but it appears on Google maps and others that the main channel is east of the bridal-bike path and runs underneath 27 right near Relax Inn where it joins a branch from Elda Lake. However a significant channel exist west of there and is found right behind the riding  stables and west of the bridal path, flowing under the Sunrise at least 75 yards west in another tunnel. 

Flyrad:  Here is the best I could find.  There is a little book entitled: "Trout Fishing on Long Island's Spring Creeks A Stream Guide for the Fly Fisher"  You can pick up a copy at the LITU website for about seventeen bucks.  Although the map is rather scratchy, the description in the book is worthwhile.  BTW, I am not the author nor am I humping this book.  Hope this helps.

FR

Carll's River.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks F44 for the information. it’s an interesting map and I will see if I can get a copy of the publication. The area I am interested in is north of the Sunrise and west of the streams depicted on the map. A significant tributary of Southard’s Pond flows into it at the dimple near the “s” of Southard’s on the map and is probably a branch of the Carlls’. It sometimes flows adjacent to the bridal path/bike trail which  later courses through a large tunnel underneath the Sunrise, west, by maybe 75 yards, of the streams depicted on the map. This may mean that a large area between the Southern State and Sunrise is essentially an island of the Carlls. The western stream branch, through the bridal path tunnel,  is not shown on most maps including the USGS map but I saw it on one and forgot to bookmark it and don’t remember the URL. This area is a swampy tangle of briars and impenetrable brush and next to impossible to fish which may be an act self preservation by Mother Nature. There is a short trail to a bridge over the river off the bridal path about 100 yds north of the sunrise which provides limited access to the river but the unending stream of traffic dampens the atmosphere and ones enjoyment of fishing. 

Edited by flyrad10

Posted (edited) · Report post

Comments in order of maps

1. Maybe more accurate

2. East branch missing

3.USGS West Branch Missing

4. Inaccurate with west branch missing and northern shoreline of Southard’s wrong

Moral of the story: these maps have much in common with this one. 

EEEC5A33-C446-44F5-8F6E-DB63D2760763.png

657A00B9-E5C5-4BCC-AE7B-1D85D85A906D.png

377EF7A4-B4ED-4E4C-8035-2280E659F72B.png

906320F0-3592-453B-8ACE-7F9C9AE4A037.png

0D8F0FD7-D02F-4438-AAE0-34D407AF1208.png

Edited by flyrad10
Add maps