davedodge

Tog?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Targeted tog for my first time yesterday. Bought a quart of crabs at B&T near where I was going, and a few tog rigs (I brought materials to do it myself but expediency/laziness won out). 

Within 20 mins had a fish on, turned out to be an ~20” striper :shrug:.

Got what I believe were a few tog bites, but missed them. Have read up on togging, and seems it’s tap-tap-swing, was probably too slow on the swing. Practice makes perfect as they say, so it was a great trip. 

I was ripping claws/legs off the crab, cracking the shell with a small rock and hooking through the back leg hole and through the back of the crab. Wondering if that’s the right approach or if I should be using half a crab with shell removed, as I’ve seen on some YouTube videos. (Crab I had were mostly pretty small)

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Targeted tog for my first time yesterday. Bought a quart of crabs at B&T near where I was going, and a few tog rigs (I brought materials to do it myself but expediency/laziness won out). 

Got what I believe were a few tog bites, but missed them. Have read up on togging, and seems it’s tap-tap-swing, was probably too slow on the swing. Practice makes perfect as they say, so it was a great trip. 

I was ripping claws/legs off the crab, cracking the shell with a small rock and hooking through the back leg hole and through the back of the crab. Wondering if that’s the right approach or if I should be using half a crab with shell removed, as I’ve seen on some YouTube videos. (Crab I had were mostly pretty small)

Welcome to the bottom fishing club. There is seriously no right or 'wrong' way to hook a crab. Fishes are picky. Somedays they prefer crab with legs, somedays dont. Some days they prefer half and some days half. Just hook the crab tight and toss it in. 

On the tap tap swing part, I always wait for the 'pull'. It feels different than a tap but more like a 'tug'. You'll get a hold of it after swing and miss more times. Sometimes fishes are just too small for you to hook it, they will just steal your bait. For the smaller crabs that are about quarter size, I'll just hook the whole thing on a hook.... or look up yo-yo rig (more advanced).

Edited by foxfai

5 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

"Anything works", to an extent. I go with what works best for me "most of the time" and that is a med/adv. size green crab with the top shell pulled off. No cutting. I do pull the claws off before I pop the shell. When you do it a lot, you can do it without looking. Every fall I train a new herd of tog fishermen how to bait their hooks....

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've only seen them as far around Boston, nothing further than that.

Edited by foxfai

12 hours ago, bassturds said:

Anyone try for tog north of the cape? 

No, but, I keep meaning too.  I have a few spots in mind that I think will hold some.  I have heard 2nd hand stories of them well North of Boston.  Mostly these are from folks whop are diving.  I've also seen that many folks North of Boston cannot tell the difference between a tautog and a BSB, so they could be seabass.

sam

On 5/12/2019 at 11:15 AM, PlumFishing said:

The tog bite and the best way to hook them is very tough to describe,  I can imagine the feel very clearly but putting words to it is tougher. I would describe the bite as tap - - t-tap-tap.  Foxfai had a good point with the tug, which is a big piece of it.  If you don't feel pressure before you set, you will almost always swing and miss.  It's almost as though you want to very slowly (almost imperceptibly) raise your rod tip at the first tap, this allows the hook to seat in the tog's mouth when the second part comes and you can drive the hook point home. This is probably needed because tog just sit there and crunch as opposed to other fish that strike at a bait and pull the line tight for you.

sam

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, PlumFishing said:

Not sure if you are using high low rig.   I suggest switching to one hook.  I feel it increases your hook up ratio.  Once you get sense of how tog bite and when to set hook, then move back to two hook set up if so inclined.  Personally, I prefer single hook anyway.  Keeps things simple.   Once you start catching them, you'll get it.  I always find it takes a few misses at the start of the day before I get back in the grove.  Kinda like taking batting practice. 

26 mins ago, sams said:

No, but, I keep meaning too.  I have a few spots in mind that I think will hold some.  I have heard 2nd hand stories of them well North of Boston.  Mostly these are from folks whop are diving.  I've also seen that many folks North of Boston cannot tell the difference between a tautog and a BSB, so they could be seabass.

I’ve caught a big tog just north of Plymouth flounder fishing about 15 years ago in June off the jetties! It was my very first one! With the sea bass, scup, even small bones showing up each year. Im willing to bet there’s a few swimming around the rocks

There are tog in southern Maine and Portsmouth NH area but very few. I've talked to a few lobsterman who have caught them in there traps. My friend Dave dove the rocks at the Merrimack mouth last year and only saw one.  I would not bother Tog fishing north of the cape (maybe in a few years with global warming). I trailer my boat down to MA or RI. 

31 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Got a little runt on an X-Rap today. Had a big one follow it up to the boat but didn’t hit. Crazy bastards. 

I've caught them jigging in the canal with the 5oz jig hooked in their mouths. They can be crazy things sometimes 

There plenty of Togs in north shore if you know where to find them. I know a few locations where you can easily target them from shore in north. However, i recommend not to target the north one and just let them breed.