davedodge

Tog?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

I have the same problem only with schoolies, once they're in I lose interest in tog. There are plenty of tog being caught. People walk past me on their way back to their cars while I'm fishing for stripers with 3 a piece.

The Skunk is over for me - Caught a nice  4 to 5 lb white chinner yesterday in RI 2 hour before low tide. I'm happy I didn't leave empty handed especially everyone was out and about since it was so nice out. Sadly, korker are very comfortable after awhile. I Manage to fall a few time but korkers has good ankle protection I noticed. Tight-lines

20 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

The squid fishing has been too good for me to consider togging. I may try a few of my favorite areas around the west end this weekend.

Happens every may and june. Too many fishing options. :shaky:

I'm going to border area RI/CT Coast this weekend to visit family, and was thinking of tossing some Gulp Peeler Crab 2" 5CM Crab I picked up recently off some of those jetty breach-ways, or maybe just casting from shore,   Never targeted Tog before.   Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.  I'm talking vaguely the Westerly, Charlestown, Stonington, Mystic areas.

Nice catches above ++  Hat's off..

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, TheClasp said:

I'm going to border area RI/CT Coast this weekend to visit family, and was thinking of tossing some Gulp Peeler Crab 2" 5CM Crab I picked up recently off some of those jetty breach-ways, or maybe just casting from shore,   Never targeted Tog before.   Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.  I'm talking vaguely the Westerly, Charlestown, Stonington, Mystic areas.

Thanks

Give deep hole a try as long as you are down that way or the mansions

Edited by Angler #1

7 hours ago, TheClasp said:

Thanks

I’d consider using live crabs.   I’m not sure the artificial stuff works with tog.   

I’ve never really targeted tog, but plan on a few outings. I have a few spots scouted out for the next few weekends. 

Couple questions:

- Do local bait shops carry live crab? I’m fine flipping rocks at low tide to get bait, but would have to go at low and wait as the tide comes in

- My primary surf rods are 10’, 10.5’, 11’ and a 7.5 acid wrapped fluke rod. Reels are all between 4000-8000 size. Can the surf rods be used?

Thanks for any input. 

Yes, most bait shops should carry green crabs but I would call ahead.   Quonnie Bait and Tackle is in that general area.   If coming from Mass, QuakerLane in Wakefield will have them.   Plenty of others as well.   I'd use the same rod as for stripers off the rocks/beach.   7.5 is too short.   I'd use one of the others.  

36 mins ago, notime said:

Yes, most bait shops should carry green crabs but I would call ahead.   Quonnie Bait and Tackle is in that general area.   If coming from Mass, QuakerLane in Wakefield will have them.   Plenty of others as well.   I'd use the same rod as for stripers off the rocks/beach.   7.5 is too short.   I'd use one of the others.  

Thank you for the insight. :howdy:

I’m in Metro-West so would be headed SoCo or RI, and will check with the local B&T’s where I’m targeting.