davedodge

Tog?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, davedodge said:

Yes, yesterday. Those aren't my fish, but someone caught them in front of my house. I will be going today if the weather isn't terrible.

20190421_193359.jpg

Do you know what they use for bait?

Are these could be caught from shore on you need to be in deep water? I'm in Winthrop, wondering, does make sense to try beach fishing?  Saw someone with rods yesterday heading toward the beach.

32 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

Are these could be caught from shore on you need to be in deep water? I'm in Winthrop, wondering, does make sense to try beach fishing?  Saw someone with rods yesterday heading toward the beach.

I catch them from jetty's. They like to hang near rock piles in my area. They are usually 5 feet from rocks that I am standing on. Check with your local bait shop.

2 mins ago, newbie said:

thanks. May I ask which town?

Fairhaven, Dartmouth, and New Bedford. Anywhere with a rocky area. Jetty's are great. Gooseberry Island in Westport is a great spot.

They're out there now. Caught three fishing off my jet ski this morning in two hours. Nothing huge but kept one fat Male for lunch.

36 mins ago, cj7fisherman said:

They're out there now. Caught three fishing off my jet ski this morning in two hours. Nothing huge but kept one fat Male for lunch.

How do you know male vs female with Tog.  

When I was a kid, there were a couple places right in town that were ground zero for tog. People would line up shoulder to shoulder. Catching them 2 at a time the entire tide. Now, no one even fishes there.

1 hour ago, notime said:

How do you know male vs female with Tog.  

The females have a "rounder" face and browner complexion. Most obvious is that at this time of year, the females are (very obviously) full of eggs and look "ready to pop"!

10 mins ago, jason colby said:

The females have a "rounder" face and browner complexion. Most obvious is that at this time of year, the females are (very obviously) full of eggs and look "ready to pop"!

:howdy:

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

When I was a kid, there were a couple places right in town that were ground zero for tog. People would line up shoulder to shoulder. Catching them 2 at a time the entire tide. Now, no one even fishes there.

Did everyone forget about those spots or do they no longer produce?