bob_G

Black squirrel

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, b-ware said:

Just wondering what Mepps would pay for black tails...………….

My dad used to clip squirrels from his bird feeder and send the tails to meps. No idea what they gave him for them. 

This was in West Roxbury where it turns out it’s not that cool to touch off a .22. Eventually the cops showed up and advised him not to do that anymore. He happened to have a .30/30 and a 410 not locked up which they confiscated.

Tried to get them back when he passed away a few mos later but no dice. 

I miss that guy!! 

21 hours ago, DAQ said:

I find the pavement theory pretty silly. The gray color of a typical agouti colored squirrel more closely matches the majority of paved surfaces. 

Black squirrel on a gray background stand out more.

Agreed, black top is rarely ever black, it is grey.

Which is why the idea I heard in the past about black squrriels surviving long enough to pass on their genes because they contrast better against asphalt then their grey counter parts. This leads to the black squirrels more likely to be seen and have drivers avoid hitting them. In an urban area with many roads bordering wooded areas, the risk is very real for squirrels trying to cross roads.

I recently saw two black squirrels for the first time in my life. I’m located aboutef 2 miles from the Trillium Canton brewery. Both were in the same tree and once they spotted me they disappeared. Definitely very shy compared to the grey squirrels. 

4 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Agreed, black top is rarely ever black, it is grey.

Which is why the idea I heard in the past about black squrriels surviving long enough to pass on their genes because they contrast better against asphalt then their grey counter parts. This leads to the black squirrels more likely to be seen and have drivers avoid hitting them. In an urban area with many roads bordering wooded areas, the risk is very real for squirrels trying to cross roads.

It's entirely possible that rather than Natural Selection via protection from predators, the advantage of being black comes from Sexual Selection. Perhaps lady squirrels prefer the black ones.

Afterall, it's often said, by squirrel researchers;

"Once a squirrel goes black, she never comes back."

On 4/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, Angler #1 said:

The Westfield area of mass had a very large population at one time and was the first place i had ever seen one .

When I first moved here to the cape I had a pair in my yard for awhile, but they soon left the are or were eaten by coyotes

Interesting to see how the colors of the squirrel population changed at some parts of our state and are more normal then the gray ones

The story of the black squirrel in Westfield goes back to the 40’s. The boss at Stanley Home Products received some as a present and set them loose in Stanley Park in hopes they would establish a population in the park. The next year they could’t find any in the park so the boss ordered more. The population grew and in the past few years they have made their up into the hills in Otis and beyond.