bob_G

Black squirrel

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Regarding your last paragraph. I have heard that black contrasts better against pavement which aids survivability around humans leading to a higher likelihood that the black squirrels will pass along that genetic trait as they are less likely to be run over.

Do humans often predate squirrels in populated areas?  

8 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I like the blacktop theory. Most of the top predators are visual. Redtail hawks and house cats probably get the most.

Black squirrel on black pavement gotta be harder to see.

How much time do they spend on pavement?  They are arboreal.  Rarely are they in the middle of a paved area.  It seems workable, but I am not buying into the pavement theory.  

5 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Squirrel soup is supposed to be good.

Its very good.  IME Squirrel tastes like rabbit, but generally a bit tougher.  

10 hours ago, blkdog said:

I've a couple black squirrels at my shop. There's a white crow  there too.

Now that ive never seen. Would be pretty cool. 

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

The last few mornings while driving down Bell Rd to have my coffee, I've seen a black squirrel.  I've also seen a couple in town. 

Does anyone know, are these just a genetic anomaly, sub species or just a dark pigment of grey?

First of all, we prefer the term "African-American Squirrel". 

Second, I can't believe nobody else here heard the story I heard: Early in the 1900's there was a shipment of black squirrels, a type from Europe, that was to be delivered to The Bronx Zoo. They escaped and their population has been spreading throughout the USA ever since. I was told this story the first time I told someone I saw a black squirrel in the late 60's and I remember I was sure no one would believe me..... JC

10 hours ago, 55555s said:

Do humans often predate squirrels in populated areas?  

How much time do they spend on pavement?  They are arboreal.  Rarely are they in the middle of a paved area.  It seems workable, but I am not buying into the pavement theory.  

Its very good.  IME Squirrel tastes like rabbit, but generally a bit tougher.  

Squirrel forage on the ground for hours every day. They are most vulnerable on the ground. Cats and hawks rarely get them from trees. Cats and redtail hawks are very numerous predators even in the most developed areas, even big cities. Numerous enough to have a major influence on the squirrels. 

When foraging squirrels cross open areas they are most vulnerable. In developed areas a huge part of the open area they have to cross is blacktop.

It stands to reason that black squirrels are harder to see on blacktop. This would logically lend an advantage to an animal constantly crossing roads, sidewalks and parking lots. 

It's not my theory and I'm not married to it, but the more I think on it, the better I like it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I find the pavement theory pretty silly. The gray color of a typical agouti colored squirrel more closely matches the majority of paved surfaces. 

Black squirrel on a gray background stand out more.

Edited by DAQ

35 mins ago, bob_G said:

Why not just use cat tails?

10 cents a pc credit for spinners my dad used to drop em off on his way to his job in alaska