BillyD0123

Impromptu wading shoes?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello, I'm in a situation where I traveled to Cape Cod for  6 months work. Brought my stocking foot waders for some occasional  shore fly fishing but left my shoes at home. Not looking to spend much, but I'm thinking maybe picking up some Crocs or something to use here for a temp substitute. Any ideas or thoughts on what makes an affordable temp wading shoe?

Thanks, BD

Edited by BillyD0123
Not finished writing

I out dumbed myself onetime leaving my boots behind . I ended buying some sneakers in a Goodwill or something along the lines. Well they got me through the day ( barely ) . I'll tell you one thing them things nearly killed me on the slippery stream rocks . Probably get you by in the surf for rock might be asking a lot however. Myself I'd buy another pair of boots . It never hurts to have extra pair sooner or later you'll need a new pair anyway.

No rocks just thigh high water on the sand. I rarely use my waders so 2 pairs of shoes will not make sense. Thanks tho. I don't know why I'm thinking Crocs would do it.

A lot of sporting goods stores sell cheap neoprene water shoes with rubber soles. You just slip them on. Buy a size or two bigger than your normal size. 

I saw them at Dicks for under $12.00.

Once upon a time, I had to buy a cheap pair of work boots and glue indoor / out door carpeting on the soles (Barge cement) and screw a few 1/4 sheet metal screws that were cut off real short in length. They actually worked quite well 100 years ago!

This was for wet wading of course.

FT 

Edited by Fishin Technician

If you’re going to be here for 6 months is only half the story,  the other question  is how much actual time will you be fishing.

I have a friend who uses a cheap pair of  Bass Pro flats boots when he is fishing sandy beaches with his stocking foot waders, he brought his waders to BP  to make sure he got a pair that would fit properly. I think that is what I would do, surprisingly they cost about the same of a crocs. Just a thought, good luck on  your search.

Not old enough to remember when Converse high top sneakers were every kids choice for wading shoes ??

STPost always has a half dozen or more. Under a $100 bucks .  Check out Frogg Toggs wading boots. $40 or $50 price range. 

LL Bean Rubber bottom leather tops were the favorite of Jack Garthside!

pg 34 of Pete McDonald’s book “the Blitz” Shows Jack taking a break on a stoop in Lynn Harbor, MA,

Edited by RJ

11 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Not old enough to remember when Converse high top sneakers were every kids choice for wading shoes ??

So old you haven't bought a pair in a while? Seen the prices on a new pr of Chucks? :o

Chucks were my std wading and every-day shoe as a kid...now they're just my every-day shoe since wading boots have evolved to the degree they have.

To the OP,I ditched my wading boots for beach fishing for a pr of Chacos (Keens are similar) cheaper on the sierratradingpost.So much lighter than wading boots,large footprint that gives great traction on sand(like balloon tires on bikes),quick-draining mesh that lets the shoe "breathe" instead of creating a suction like w/ boots as when you step it draws sand/water mix in that eventually fills your boot.This happens to a significantly lesser degree than a full boot.I like the ones that are fully enclosed as opposed to the sandal as they keep seashell pieces out.