Warning! 2019 Outback does not work with Hullivator!

41 mins ago, atv223 said:

I understand the the specifications of both the Outback and Hullavator.  What I can tell you from personal experience is that my 2013 Outback spec is 75 lbs, so 10 lbs lighter then the current one.  I've used it with my Hullavator and I've had additional stuff in/on the kayak (battery, FF, tackle, etc.) that I'm sure add at least 10 lbs.  The Hullavator doesn't come crashing down and I still have to pull down on it quiet a bit to get to start to come down.   Now once it starts coming down, I help control the descent, I guess if I just got it going and let go it might, slam down, but I don't do that and am fine if that's the only issue.

Knowing people that worked at EMS that have attended Thule's training program, I feel pretty confident that Thule over engineers their stuff quite a bit so I'd have to believe there is a fair amount of safety factor in there.  No store or manufacturer would recommend exceeding the load ratings so it's certainly "buyer beware".  

I fully agree with everything you said. I WANT it to work. I have a brand new in the box $700 Hullivator gathering dust. The Sequoia is VERY tall and I'm by myself, so having this work would be cut the load up time and hassle by 3/4, which means more time on the water.

All I know is I walked in to a major Hobie dealer prepared to spend $3500 between the kayak and accessories, and they told me it after they tried it themselves, it won't work with the 2019. So they lost a big sale that day, and to anyone else who comes in with a Hullivatoer looking for a 2019. And they didn't offer another product for me to buy in place of the Hullivator, so there doesn't appear to be any reason to deceive me. If anyone comes up with a way to make it work, they would be a hero in my book.

41 mins ago, Ed Z said:

I fully agree with everything you said. I WANT it to work. I have a brand new in the box $700 Hullivator gathering dust. The Sequoia is VERY tall and I'm by myself, so having this work would be cut the load up time and hassle by 3/4, which means more time on the water.

All I know is I walked in to a major Hobie dealer prepared to spend $3500 between the kayak and accessories, and they told me it after they tried it themselves, it won't work with the 2019. So they lost a big sale that day, and to anyone else who comes in with a Hullivatoer looking for a 2019. And they didn't offer another product for me to buy in place of the Hullivator, so there doesn't appear to be any reason to deceive me. If anyone comes up with a way to make it work, they would be a hero in my book.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to suggest that they were trying to deceive you, just,  What I was getting at is that the stated specs are that the 2 won't work together and out of the box, there may be some issues, so they may be taking a CYA approach.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing the same thing.  I wouldn't want to spend $3500 on an experiment to find out their isn't a workable solution.  I have a 4Runner which is probably close in height to the Sequoia, that's what forced me to get a Hullavator.  When I first got my Hullavator, I almost returned it because dead-lifting the Outback off the ground in one move into the cradles, even hanging on the side was going to kill my back.  I ultimately found a solution where I put the kayak up on stands and then lift from there.  An extra step, but it saves my back.

Another option is the Thule Outrigger or the Yakima Boatloader.  Essentially the same thing, a bar that slides out the side to assist in loading.  I have both and used them before I got the Hullavator.  I prefer the Hullavator since I can load the kayak right side up and I don't have to climb all of the the SUV to tie it down, but these assist bars will get the job done.

Hopefully someone will post their experiences with they Hullavator and the 2019 Outback and how they got it to work.

32 mins ago, atv223 said:

I ultimately found a solution where I put the kayak up on stands and then lift from there.  An extra step, but it saves my back.

Can you describe how this works, or post a picture?

54 mins ago, staktup said:

Did you try flipping the 2019 Outback upside down on the Hullavator to see if that helps?

No, my Hullivator is brand new in the box. The plan was to buy the 2019 Outback, have them install the Hullivator, and drive home. They said they tried it to make it work extensively as they sell hullivators. The new hull does not fit stable when the arms are lowered, it is very shaky when trying to lift it, and said when trying to lower it the hydraulics fail and the whole weight comes down at once. Thats all I know. 

OK the stabile part when its in the down position I can see, but that's with all. If its not strapped it may fall out.

Coming down fast. Personally I've never noticed all that much aid with mine going up or down. Either outback or revo. Your doing most the work, its more of a guide. You let go on the beginning of a descent, its going to do some damage to the car even if its adjusted overhang is 6" passed the side of your vehicle. Not to mention the scissor type arms would turn into a pretzel.

Getting it into the hullavator may be more the issue. The handles are in an awkward area for that type of lifting.

If anything I would think last years model would be more a problem. The keel used to raise the yak for it not be cradled by the Thule arms.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

So maybe you can:

1) See if someone has a new version hullavator and 2019 Outback to confirm this issue for yourself

2) See if someone has a 2019 Outback and older style hullavator to test compatibility 

If #2 works out, return, sell, or trade your new hullavator for an older model.

Where are you located?  I am in Putnam County NY & have older hullavators

Edited by staktup
more info

2 hours ago, Ed Z said:

Can you describe how this works, or post a picture?

This is a photo I found on the web, so not my picture but exactly the same stands.

I have a set of these stand and use them to stage the kayak before I lift it into the Hullavator.  With the kayak already about 2 feet off the ground, it's easier to list from that point.

IMAG0417.jpg

newhobies.jpg

2 mins ago, staktup said:

So maybe you can:

1) See if someone has a new version hullavator and 2019 Outback to confirm this issue for yourself

2) See if someone has a 2019 Outback and older style hullavator to test compatibility 

If #2 works out, return, sell, or trade your new hullavator for an older model.

Where are you located?  I am in Putnam County NY & have older hullavators

I think there is very little practical difference between the old and new hullavatorss.  At least from what I've seen.

Google search:Thule Hullavator 897XT vs 898, but I posted most of the site below.  If anything, the new Hullavator should fit better then the old.  

Quick Look: Comparison Table

Hullavator 897XT Hullavator 898
  Hullavator 897XT Hullavator 898
Best for On a budget, don't mind shopping for used. Latest & greatest, available New.

Kayak Compatability Thule specs say 36 inch, but manufactuerer comments say 34. Users say 34-38 but several disagree that 36ers will fit - could depnd on contour. Thule specs say 36 and users say 36 - 38 with confidence, various review note it is larger. Thule claims upgraded size despite identical specs.
Installation Easy installation process. Very secure. Also easy and secure. According to Youtube videos, there is an extra plastic wedge-like piece that can be used in installation. Not required - not a feature as much as a packing point.
Roof Rack Compatibility Thule Square, professional series (now called ProRacks), Aeroblade with adapter (reviews on adapter say it's easy, and Xadapt 11 is made by Thule), Xsporter, Yakiomo Round Bars, Rapid Areo Thule Square, Aeroblade, Xsporter, Yakiomo Round Bars and Rapid Areo. As with 897XT, not compatible with other brands or manufactuerer's bars because of sideload tension.
Asthetic More silver, huge Thule logos Slightly more black vs silver, much smaller Thule logo makes it look more modern
Pads for Kayak Slightly smaller Appears from photos that there is an extended padding on the cradle, appears to be an awkward fit with smaller kayaks
Availability Discontinued. Not available on Amazon, roofrack.com, Thule or any other websites I found. Available used on Ebay and other resalers. Available fro Thule, MEC, Amazon.
Max Load 75 lbs (or else jeopardize waranty), gas struts lift 40 lbs of the weight 75 lbs (or else jeopardize waranty), gas struts lift 40 lbs of the weight
Locking Features Recommended with SRS lock which is an older but unproblematic model. Requires multiple keys for multiple locks. Also compatible with 1 lock and other new lock designs. Reconmended with 1 key lock. Compatable with all Thule locks. One key is convenient but users are concerned about copy keys.
Edited by atv223

1 hour ago, atv223 said:

This is a photo I found on the web, so not my picture but exactly the same stands.

I have a set of these stand and use them to stage the kayak before I lift it into the Hullavator.  With the kayak already about 2 feet off the ground, it's easier to list from that point.

Those look great! What is the brand/model? I could store kayaks in my house with those as well.

26 mins ago, Ed Z said:

Those look great! What is the brand/model? I could store kayaks in my house with those as well.

I can't post links, but google "Nomadic research labs kayak stand".  The guy who runs the site used to sell the slings and you build the frame with PVC.  He stopped selling the slings but all the information is there on sizes, materials etc.

50 mins ago, atv223 said:

I can't post links, but google "Nomadic research labs kayak stand".  The guy who runs the site used to sell the slings and you build the frame with PVC.  He stopped selling the slings but all the information is there on sizes, materials etc.

Thanks!

I also used to use a thule slipstream when I had my xterra. The frame of this rack has a roller and you can slide it fore and aft to hang behind your vehicle using the built in roller, load your boat and then slide it forward. Very adjustable as far as the pads go too. Looks like they don't make it anymore but a few stores still have them. I do have one for sale for $200 but it's outside boston. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkYny6-tv0g 

Maybe consider downsizing your vehicle and making things easier on yourself or getting a step stool :) Not saying your one these people, but I see people driving around huge rigs all the time just to take their kids to soccer and they're totally overkill. My 4 cyl escape has done more than most ever do with their lifted trucks and full size suvs. I'm talking driving down forest roads, the beaches in baja, ski trips, moving houses... They're just flushing cash down the toilet burning all that gas.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, Ed Z said:

They said the Yakima Showdown "might" be an option, but they've been unable to test it, but since they have Hullivators they've extensively tested them.

Has anyone tried the Yakima Showdown with the 2019 Outback?

I looked into the Showdown and I would say "hard pass"  It has no lift assist at all so, you'd be lifting the full weight of the Outback.  Reviews aren't great at all and it definitely sounds like the heavier the kayak the worse to operation.