Ed Z

Warning! 2019 Outback does not work with Hullivator!

52 posts in this topic

So, I just got back from a major Long Island Hobie dealer, cash in hand to buy a 2019 Outback. They asked me how I planned to transport it, I said I have a the newest one, the Thule 898 Hullivator Pro.

They said, sorry, you won't be able to use it. We've had to tell several customers the new shape of the Outback hull won't fit the cradle properly. Its shaky in the cradle when in the down position, and unstable when trying to lift it. When you try to lower it, the hydraulics don't work and the whole weight of the kayak comes crashing down.

They said the Yakima Showdown "might" be an option, but they've been unable to test it, but since they have Hullivators they've extensively tested them.

Has anyone tried the Yakima Showdown with the 2019 Outback?

Load capacity on that rack is 75, so probably best not to even have tried. Sorry your rack won't work but I usually just load mine straight on the bars with a pad on the rear corner of my car. A load assist bar works great too. Watch the video at 4:00. 

I was aware the capacity is listed at 75 which worried me at first. But, there are dozens of people on this forum and the ******** using it with the Outback, which is why I got it. But the new 2019 hull shape doesn't fit the cradles. 

Thanks for the tips, I will have to research more. The Sequoia is a TALL vehicle, so it creates a challenge. 

Well that sucks!  I hope someone comes up with a work around.  I'm still fishing out of a 2013 Outback, but have been considering a 2019.  Using my Hullavator is a must.

I wish I could see it attempted in person.

3 hours ago, atv223 said:

Well that sucks!  I hope someone comes up with a work around.  I'm still fishing out of a 2013 Outback, but have been considering a 2019.  Using my Hullavator is a must.

I wish I could see it attempted in person.

I emailed Thule Customer service. Here is their response:

"Thule product development is always working on improving our products, but there are no immediate plans for an update to the Hullavator anytime soon. "

Really? I'm pretty sure the Outback is the #1 Hobie sold. They are missing out on a ton of business going forward. Maybe if enough people call and email them, they will come up with a solution.

I am sure one of our sol members with an engineering background will come up  with a fix or at least a work around. Also Thule  has to change their equipment every time a new model vehicle or kayak comes out. It took many years for them to develop their truck bed rack . They  still don’t have one for a Honda Ridgeline. 

I had to shave off some of the black plastic molding to get the extra inch to fit the Outback ... I did post pics at the time ... 3-4 years ago

I am sorry to hear that new outback won't fit a Hullavator. This is another reason, apart from the weight that is making me skip on outback and go with a compass!

I think the new design of the outback (the outback loader) makes it easy to put on a truck rack.  It is actually a lot easier than loading my 2014 revo. I could see how loading on an SUV could be a challange ne there may be some videos showing how to easily do it.

3 hours ago, Africaster said:

I had to shave off some of the black plastic molding to get the extra inch to fit the Outback ... I did post pics at the time ... 3-4 years ago

It’ll fit without shaving, but it’s not like a tight fit with other kayaks. But we’re both talking about pre-2019 Outbacks. 

13 hours ago, Ed Z said:

I emailed Thule Customer service. Here is their response:

"Thule product development is always working on improving our products, but there are no immediate plans for an update to the Hullavator anytime soon. "

Really? I'm pretty sure the Outback is the #1 Hobie sold. They are missing out on a ton of business going forward. Maybe if enough people call and email them, they will come up with a solution.

But the real question you need to ask is, is the outback #1 in their entire market worldwide?  Remember, most countries are not into the big and wide as we are

On 4/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, Ed Z said:

When you try to lower it, the hydraulics don't work and the whole weight of the kayak comes crashing down.

Something doesn't sound right with this statement.  The Hullavator provides about 40 lbs of lift.  Regardless of how heavy the kayak is, it'll still provide that much lift.  The difference in weight between the 2018 and 2019 are 4 lbs.  It's possible but I find it hard to imagine that the weight of the 2018 was that close to the tipping point of the Hullavator that it would come crashing down.

8 mins ago, atv223 said:

Something doesn't sound right with this statement.  The Hullavator provides about 40 lbs of lift.  Regardless of how heavy the kayak is, it'll still provide that much lift.  The difference in weight between the 2018 and 2019 are 4 lbs.  It's possible but I find it hard to imagine that the weight of the 2018 was that close to the tipping point of the Hullavator that it would come crashing down.

Thule customer service said:

"According to Hobie's product specifications, the Outback fishing kayak has a minimum transport weight of 85 pounds. The Hullavator Pro has a maximum weight capacity of 75 pounds. Overloading it with a heavier boat could stress the hydraulics, and as the sales representative you talked to mentioned, could cause them to fail. "

1 hour ago, Ed Z said:

Thule customer service said:

"According to Hobie's product specifications, the Outback fishing kayak has a minimum transport weight of 85 pounds. The Hullavator Pro has a maximum weight capacity of 75 pounds. Overloading it with a heavier boat could stress the hydraulics, and as the sales representative you talked to mentioned, could cause them to fail. "

I understand the the specifications of both the Outback and Hullavator.  What I can tell you from personal experience is that my 2013 Outback spec is 75 lbs, so 10 lbs lighter then the current one.  I've used it with my Hullavator and I've had additional stuff in/on the kayak (battery, FF, tackle, etc.) that I'm sure add at least 10 lbs.  The Hullavator doesn't come crashing down and I still have to pull down on it quiet a bit to get to start to come down.   Now once it starts coming down, I help control the descent, I guess if I just got it going and let go it might, slam down, but I don't do that and am fine if that's the only issue.

Knowing people that worked at EMS that have attended Thule's training program, I feel pretty confident that Thule over engineers their stuff quite a bit so I'd have to believe there is a fair amount of safety factor in there.  No store or manufacturer would recommend exceeding the load ratings so it's certainly "buyer beware".