Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Livefreeordie

Any Funny Opening Day Stories?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Around 2pm, I had enough of the yard work/home repairs, and figured I go put my yak in the local pond. DEEP stocks it with trout and catfish, so I figured I'd catch a few, and also see if I couldn't entice a bass. Shortly after launching and taking a few line straightening casts, it was time to paddle out to where I hoped the fish were. Leaving the cove, I seen a dude coming into the cove. He just needed to stay in the middle then take a gentle starboard turn....but no, dude runs aground on a sandy/rocky point. There was no wind, no current, no apparent reason. I heard the guy say "Well, I didn't expect that to happen," but I had no idea wtf. I thought maybe he intended to land there, because there is a path, and perhaps he carried his yak in the extra 50 yards and had originally launched there. A great deal of struggling ensued as the young man attempted to free his little craft. He'd paddle 10x backwards on one side, and then 10x backward on the other side. I have no idea why he didn't just use his oar to shove off. I even considered rowing over and pulling him free, but feared someone might drown, despite the water being only a couple feet deep. I opted instead to say "Beautiful Day!" and as the guy finally freed himself from the deathtrap, he explained it was his first time kayak fishing.

I took me 90 minutes to land a stockie, 45 to get another. When the sun went behind the trees on the west horizon, a heavy feed commenced and I got a bunch more. I even caught a crappy and had a decent lmb on for a few seconds. Maybe 7 browns, nothing big, but it sure was nice being on the water.

Anybody got any opening day stories? I did see some other ignorance out there, but my typing finger is tired.

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

don't have a story (don't even have my license yet -- shame!) but I did drive by the Farmington just a little bit ago and not a person there. water looked a bit high so I guess that's it? 

can't get excited about fishing  for trout on opening day....  maybe in a week or two after the hub-bub dies down

7 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Yo ever want a good laugh go to your local trout park. The things you will witness. :wee::wee:

Yep..I've seen some things. We also see some stuff over at the spot the weakfish go to. I think there's a correlation to accessibility/well known and the strange inept behaviors. On Saturday, guys in other yaks, when they finally caught a fish, would hoot n holla to make sure everybody on the lake knew they caught a fish. Sure as spit, some other yakkers would paddle over, as if that spot was the only one holding any of the 1000 trout the DEEP had dumped in.

My key to success, if you can call catching stocked trout success, was just being there as the sun went down. Long casts got attention 1 out of 4 times. And if I cast thru that area again, I generally got a hit or catch.

Don't get me wrong...if I see someone catching, and I'm not, I'm gonna watch and see what I can do to imitate.

32 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I drove by the local river, saw the crowds and said screw it. 

Wasnt all that much fun. 

You should have went scup fishing! :)

On 4/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, JoeGBreezy said:

From Long Island...Are 35 mph winds funny ?:mad:

Those winds last night....tried 4 spots and caught one 15" striper. Brutal wind. IDK why I didn't just wait 'til tonight and save the energy.