Thank you

Rate this topic

Thank you all for the condolences.  Mac and I hung out for almost seventeen years, for ten of them we were pretty much inseparable during Red Drum seasons on Paramore....... I caught my first Red ever with mac (outside the breakers, boat) AND my first surf caught Red. As many said about the old man at the service, (he was 73 when we first fished), he loved people who loved what he loved, be it quail hunting or fishing. In his last few years dementia had taken the ability to carry on meaningful conversations with him but the spirit was always strong and he would sometimes remember days we fished clearly. He would always greet me with "you been catching anything".......

On the day of his funeral my good friend Dennis, who fished with us often in Virginia, came up and we fished 3 hours early in the morning, kind of in remembrance of all the times together on the beach. About twenty minutes after we arrived one of my rods went down good, it was my first black of the season. I'm sure there was some kind of spiritual connection. In my truck I had several large photos of Mac for the funeral display which I dropped of at his house, along with the fish. It was almost enough to make a guy turn religious.

ACE_2541.JPG

Allen, you may remember I don't post much (been years)  but I would talk to all on the beach and Mac made such an impression on me that I felt a need to reply.

Mac was a wonderful gentleman and loaded with knowledge. I always enjoyed our chats on the beach. Sometimes it was just the two of us on the whole beach in the snottiest weather one could endure in late December. Mac and I may have both been a little crazy and would fish in all weather (I like to think we just enjoyed being outdoors and living!). Only difference is I was in my mid 40s and Mac in his early 80s at that time. Sometimes in the bad weather I would fish the beach a little longer knowing Mac was south of me and would have to pass me to exit the beach. He would stop and we would talk about how only crazy people would be fishing....but hey, we were fishing, and catching and living!!  Mac would go on his way and I was comforted knowing he was safely off the beach.

I still remember the day Ms. Betty out fished him. Both dressed in their whites!

Fond memories of a wonderful person and all the others I have met on Assateague. Great memories! Hope to return some day and catch up with some good people. My Bronco is still running strong and waiting on me to take her fishing...Hope I am able to fish in my 80s!

Cheers Mac! To a life well lived! 

Gary