giggyfish

Need lawn help

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

So I just ditched Trugreen to keep the weeds and lawn in check now that I’ve got more time at home and as I do with all my life choices I’ve come to the tavern for advice. 

What fertilizer treatment have you guys had luck with. Scott’s four step? Lowe’s or Depot brands? Do I need Red to come over after a weekend of Taco Bell?  

Any and all advice is appreciated 

45 mins ago, giggyfish said:

So I just ditched Trugreen to keep the weeds and lawn in check Smat move now that I’ve got more time at home and as I do with all my life choices I’ve come to the tavern for advice. Another smat move

What fertilizer treatment have you guys had luck with. Scott’s four step? Invite Frank and Dude over for a beer, they're so full of **** your grass will stay green for years.  Lowe’s or Depot brands? SOL brand only. :beers:Do I need Red to come over after a weekend of Taco Bell? Only if Frank and Dude don't leave.:howdy:

I never had real grass. Just lots of green weeds which was always good enough if I kept it below knee length. About  a decade ago some young kid from True Green came to the house. I liked him and he had a good spiel so I gave them a shot. They actually did get grass to grow, where I never could. But after a while I thought it was getting pricey  for the returns I got, so I dumped them. Well, they just kept lowering the price until it was way cheaper for them to do it than for me to do it on my own. I don’t have a big lawn anyway so I eventually got rid of them for good. As long as what grows is mostly green, I’m okay with it. My next door neighbor is always taking care of his grass. Always as in every day it’s not raining. Know what, his grass is always perfect and lush until August, when the heat burns it up and then his lawn looks as crappy as mine does. I’d rather spend my time fishing than taking care of the grass.

7 hours ago, charloots said:

I’m too busy to help right now with your lawn problem. I have to give ChumSlickJon medical advice.

He get knocked up?

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, giggyfish said:

So I just ditched Trugreen to keep the weeds and lawn in check now that I’ve got more time at home and as I do with all my life choices I’ve come to the tavern for advice. 

What fertilizer treatment have you guys had luck with. Scott’s four step? Lowe’s or Depot brands? Do I need Red to come over after a weekend of Taco Bell?  

First of all if you do not water all summer long anything you do now will help but wont prevent weeds from coming once the grass gets brown In August.   I dont have a sprinkler system and ain't wasting my money on one to have no weeds.  When I did water regularly the results were so much better  all year long but you have to pick your poison and I was tire of wasting water especially if a drought was going on.

That said I usually try to lime in spring and fall. Overseed in fall too and aerate and thatch  as well.  

Crabgrass control In March or April  then weed and feed once the ground hits 70 degrees consistently......may June.    I dont do the 4 steps but usually do a fall weed and feed with the lime and maybe a grub control in between .

Some years the weeds are horrific and nothing works.   My damn neighbor doesnt take care of his side so it's hard keeping it good.   Spot spraying with weed b gone or weedbeater ultra usually works on the stragglers along with hand picking if your bored.

I used to use Scott's then switched to Johnathan green and it worked for the first few years but then it got crazy expensive and too many choices as I watched the weeds grow back.   I swear they change the formulas often.   I went back to Scott's last year and I'm happy with the results.  I am trying the Scott's triple this year and will put it down in a few weeks because I just put the crabgrass control in a little later than I intended to.

I like to cut my lawn high to keep the weeds at bay and the moisture in.  I am usually picking mushrooms out of its pretty moist.   I will probably not cut it yet for another few weeks so it chokes the weeds out.  I also pick up my clippings and dont let them lay there as it causes more issues.

Been working on my family room project so I'm behind a bit on my garden and lawn schedule this year.  Still havent turned the garden.

Good luck

Edited by Baccigalup

I'm in the same boat.  Ditched TruGreen.  To be fair, the lawn looks better than any lawn I've had.  But seems they find a way to come every other week so they can bill you.

Bacci, you got a cliff note version on that?

Scott's spring and fall?  Which scotts?

Thanks for the replies I’m off to Lowe’s to get the Scott’s stuff. I do have a sprinkler system that keeps the grass watered and I’ll get that started next week right after I thatch. The trugreen was just convenient but to be honest I’ve never really been super happy with the results. I just don’t care enough to put in more effort and time to have it look like some of my neighbors yards. I like to keep a nice yard but I’d rather fish than manicure the lawn like some do. 

Mines so bad I finally decided to open the wallet. Had a local pro come to quote spreading loam and seeding last Sunday said I would have a quote this week. No quote wtf if you don’t want to do it say so. Pisses me off 

2 hours ago, makorider said:

I'm in the same boat.  Ditched TruGreen.  To be fair, the lawn looks better than any lawn I've had.  But seems they find a way to come every other week so they can bill you.

Bacci, you got a cliff note version on that?

Scott's spring and fall?  Which scotts?

Ahh screw the lawn just go fishing.  Scott's turf builder with crabgrass control in March.    Weed feed or triple action in may June. Forget the fall name I think its winterguard but has some crabgrass control...put it at way end of season after you overseed and the fall grass is established. So far decent results but far from perfect lawn

20190414_103929.jpg