Fishy Fisher

20 lb or 30 lb braid?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

do you really think that the lighter lines make them more prone to wind knot ? 

never thought about it that way.....

at what point do you think the braid becomes more susceptible ?

I had planned on putting together a small 7 foot spinner for fall beach schoolies 

that could throw 3/8 to 3/4 using 10 lb braid....am I making a wind knot machine ??

While not sacrificing much feel and distance I'd go with the stronger equipment more likely to hold while fighting a big fish. 30 is what I use. I trust the knots a lot more.

I agree with cast, line diameter is the key factor for distance.

My dad likes Power Pro and I like Fusion. Same rods, lures, reels, etc. I get 15-20 feet more with my outfit than he does even though we are fishing the same lb test.

47 mins ago, fishinguy76 said:

I agree with cast, line diameter is the key factor for distance.

My dad likes Power Pro and I like Fusion. Same rods, lures, reels, etc. I get 15-20 feet more with my outfit than he does even though we are fishing the same lb test.

But two different casting actions by two people using the same equipment will bring in different results

Posted (edited) · Report post

I prefer 30lb Spiderwire for everything.  I tie a 50lb shocker (uni to uni 8 turns) with the knot wrapped three turns around the spool.  This serves two purposes for me.  Additional strength when fishing around boulders and as a warning when my swivel nears the tip top of my rod.  As my offering gets close to the beach I begin to feel for the knot.  When I feel the knot I now know that I have three more before the swivel contacts the tip of my rod.  I find this especially helpful on dark nights.  It works for me and I am comfortable with it.  Good Luck

sb

BTW-Pak Stay Off The Norrh Side, lol

Edited by Stripedbass50lbs
spelling

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd recommend spending some time researching diameter to breaking strength ratios.  This will be much more valuable than someone simply saying "go with 30" as not all 30 pound braids are created equal.  There is no standard measurement, it's all marketing.  

IE:  (From Paulus Just Fishing website)

• 20lb Sufix Performance breaks at ~30.42lbs.
  • 20lb Spiderwire Invisi breaks at ~50.38lbs.  

There is a great thread by a member here (Aquaholik) that is pinned to the top of the Main Forum with different line comparisons and results that is worth a look. 

Edited by TLap21
added link

Open sandy beaches (no rocks), throwing swimmers and topwaters, I use 20lb powerpro slick.  Especially with the dawn of longcast spinners, I get better distance. Big fish, and never a problem with break offs. 

Inlets and jettys, of course I go with the heavier stuff.

To me there is a significant gain in distance from 30 to 20 but that has a lot  to do with what you are casting. The lighter the offerings the more you tend to gain. I fish a lot of bay waters so 20 to me is ideal. I like 30 on the open sandy beaches since my lure selection gets heavier and the distance lost from 20 to 30 is not so great to me. Anywhere around rocks, jetties and inlets I like 50. Again the payloads typically go up so the gain is somewhat less to me. With the right rod and reel setup 50 can achieve very good distance in spite of being much thicker than 30 in any given line.

I use 15 lb PowerPro on my 7' St Croix Triumph Surf with a Slammer III 3500. Was tossing the thing in some decent wind the last few times and I had no issues. I also I use 40 lb PowerPro on my 10' St Croix Triumph Surf with a Slammer III 5500. I considered dropping it down to 30 lb once it wears down but haven't really felt a need to do that yet.