Fishy Fisher

20 lb or 30 lb braid?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I fish mainly south shore LI from beach and jetty and I've always used 30 lb with the idea that it might hold up slightly better on the jetty. But now I'm thinking about using 20 lb to try to gain a few extra feet casting. 

Should i be worried about the rocks at all? I use a long leader anyway. 

And im sure this topic has been beaten to death somewhere here, but i didn't spend much time looking. :wee:

Stick with the 30. Not that the abrasion resistance is much better but the thinner braids are harder to handle and tie. Especially at night. And the distance difference will probably not be that great. My opinion only of course. 

2 hours ago, mtl50 said:

Stick with the 30. Not that the abrasion resistance is much better but the thinner braids are harder to handle and tie. Especially at night. And the distance difference will probably not be that great. My opinion only of course. 

Agree 100%.

The condition of your line matters more than the poundage of your line. A damaged 50lb line can break long before a brand new 20lb line. Braided line damages very easily and most guys don't monitor the condition of their line. 

As far as 20lb or 30lb line goes, I can't answer which tool is best cuz I don't know enough about the job being done. I dunno if your catching schoolies or cows even. Good luck. :th:

4 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Do you find your not reaching the fish?

Eh.. I'm just thinking having options is better than not. A few feet probably won't make much difference. There have been days when it did, but not many. 

Sounds like the consensus is stick with 30. Bonus! I get to save a few bucks. :) Thanks, everyone. 

It's more about line diameter than lb test....e.g. there are some 30lb test with the same or less diameter than 20lb.....I look at diameter first.