bob_G

Herring observations

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

While trout fishing, I've had the opportunity to check out many of our local runs.  To be frank, the observations thus far are somewhat discouraging.  The only place I've seen any number of herring is at Wareham. 

Last fall I read a report sent to me by John Sheppard, Ma DMF chief anadromous biologist. He said in spite of all their efforts, and efforts by local towns, they expected another precipitous decline in 2019. :(

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

While trout fishing, I've had the opportunity to check out many of our local runs.  To be frank, the observations thus far are somewhat discouraging.  The only place I've seen any number of herring is at Wareham. 

Last fall I read a report sent to me by John Sheppard, Ma DMF chief anadromous biologist. He said in spite of all their efforts, and efforts by local towns, they expected another precipitous decline in 2019. :(

Why were they expecting a decline?  It seemed like the runs had been taking off the last few years.

Just now, fishBAD said:

Why were they expecting a decline?  It seemed like the runs had been taking off the last few years.

It is really to early to determine how well the runs will be this year . Many of the runs have herring in the front waters where they come in from the ocean and as of yet have not reached the actual runs where they go into fresh water ponds to reproduce. I have seen normal activity in some of the runs here on the cape side of the canal . and especially one that is in another town where they are jammed pack in the feeder streams leading up to the jump off spot to fresh water. It will be another several weeks before we actually can get a true count on the herring that will be filling the ponds soon.

2 mins ago, fishBAD said:

A couple runs had modest increases. But the dozens of small runs all over the cape and SE Ma are barely hanging on. Some have died off entirely like the Redbrook run in Pocasset. 

The hope is new and more restrictive sea herring harvest practices will help our river herring rebound. But that's a 5 year plan at best if at all.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

A couple runs had modest increases. But the dozens of small runs all over the cape and SE Ma are barely hanging on. Some have died off entirely like the Redbrook run in Pocasset. 

The hope is new and more restrictive sea herring harvest practices will help our river herring rebound. But that's a 5 year plan at best if at all.

Ah that makes sense.  Looking at the reports on SOL and the fishing magazines I was under the impression numbers were up across the board.  But I can easily imagine how the small runs are still struggling.

• Middleboro had been showing steady increases year to year until last year when they had a real poor return...hopefully just a fluke, the sea herring harvest restrictions should have bee put in place 10 years ago...

18 hours ago, fishBAD said:

Ah that makes sense.  Looking at the reports on SOL and the fishing magazines I was under the impression numbers were up across the board.  But I can easily imagine how the small runs are still struggling.

The smaller runs never seem to recover as fast as the larger ones , due to less marked fish are returning each year doing there thing . The larger streams and river systems lose less marked fish each year and with the sanctions on keeping river herring in place you have a larger group of fish to reinvigorate the run

At the in laws for Easter and took a walk down to the pond.  Small tributary no bigger than 4 ft across loaded with herring. Had to unblock the river from debris in several spots so they could continue their journey. The state is concerned with the populations so why am I having to help them on their journey???   

5CDDED35-A6FE-469E-9295-E570F5E6F3AD.MOV

Just stopped into the Pembroke Herring run for a minute and saw several pooling around just below the falls.   Those fish really have their work cutout for them with all that rain we just had.....wow!  This was only my second time there and finally it was during the run.   It was nice to see some fish at this run.   Overall it really looks like a nice run and kudos to all who maintain its upkeep.  Great job guys!!!   :beers:

39 mins ago, bob_G said:

Really? Brad, what run is that from?

Harwich. been strong as of late. they had 80k go through in one day on Saturday