oax

Prostate Exam

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Had my first complete physical in 3 years yesterday with a new doctor and he (thankfully) didn’t whip out KY jelly and a rubber glove.  No digital prostate exam but he did order a a PSA blood test and a fecal blood test.  Doc was an older gentleman who seemed very well up on things and comes well regraded by a number of people I know as a good, reliable physician. Told me that over the past few years the value of doing the finger up your butt as well as the PSA blood test has been determined to be of questionable value.  Said unless you have a history of prostate cancer in your family or have any obvious symptoms, he only uses the PSA/fecal tests as a baseline (unless they come back really out of whack) to be monitored as time goes by and not as a diagnostic tool.  Checked this out online and sure enough, this procedure we’ve all endured for years has been determined by a number of studies to not be all that reliable in diagnosing prostate cancer and can actually cause more harm than good.  Anyone else had a similar experience? 

The value of a PSA as a screening tool for CaP is widely debated. However , I would not downplay the role of a DRE for screening. There are many patients whose CaP is discovered by DRE where their PSA is well within the normal reference range. Fecal tests are not really done for Prostate Cancer screening but for detection of blood in your stool which may be indicative of a GI concern,i.e. polyps or colon Ca....  Good you had your physical and good health to you!!

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in February. Got a biopsy done because the psa levels over the past three years were exceeding the normal rate of increase per testing. Had the biopsy done and sure enough came back with a Gleason(sp) score of 7 (4-3). Had all the different scans and MRI done and the cancer right now is confined to the prostate. Having prostate removal surgery May 9th. Could of opted for radiation treatments as either option according to the doctors work just as well. And FYI both my father and his brother had prostate cancer. I’m 62.

Good luck, Jimmy. Fight the good fight.

I thought I was getting it a few years ago. My doctor's office was staffed by three women doctors, two beasts and a hottie. I was disappointed when the hottie walked in and told me they don't do the finger exam. :laugh: 

Edited by MikeMc

3 hours ago, jimmy1956 said:

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in February. Got a biopsy done because the psa levels over the past three years were exceeding the normal rate of increase per testing. Had the biopsy done and sure enough came back with a Gleason(sp) score of 7 (4-3). Had all the different scans and MRI done and the cancer right now is confined to the prostate. Having prostate removal surgery May 9th. Could of opted for radiation treatments as either option according to the doctors work just as well. And FYI both my father and his brother had prostate cancer. I’m 62.

My situation is similar ten years ago higher numbers - biopsy found nothing, five years ago higher numbers I went off sex, alcohol, and caffeine for two weeks the numbers went down. No cancer? Year ago September much higher numbers, 9 out of 12 biopsies cancer. I went with the radiation and hormones as there is too much plumbing that gets messed up with removal. I have to wait at least six months to find out what my new numbers are. Good luck.

Peace

The PSA and Cologuard are a distant second alternative to a prostate exam and colonoscopy . Don't see how it could do harm than good ,I ain't buying it. If your over 50 you should bite the bullet and get it done.

5 hours ago, jimmy1956 said:

Good luck to you Jimmy! Prayers sent for a full and speedy recovery.

I just had a full workup and my Doc started with a Digital Exam but then qualified  his "no cancer" announcement by adding "we won't know for sure until the lab results come back." So, the digital exam  and the blood work compliment each other. Thankfully, I'm in good shape and I'll continue to get checked  the old fashioned and embarrassing way but I'll have those results backed up with more modern lab tests. Seriously guys, don't eff around with this. I lost a friend/co-worker to prostate cancer 4 years ago. He was only 50 when he died. Nobody ever told him that he had a family history of prostate cancer and by the time he was diagnosed with it, it had already spread. I Have another friend who's in the prostate cancer fight right now. He's also only 50 but his was discovered early and his prognosis is good.  Yeah, the digital exam is humiliating and uncomfortable; particularly when it feels like the Doc took a running start from across the room  but regular exams and early detection are important. Please, fellas,get yourselves  checked  and then we can all come in here, bust balls and laugh about it while living to a ripe old age. 

I get the finger up the butt every time I go to the Doctor.  I need to find a new dentist.  

Good luck Jimmy - seriously....this is scary stuff.  

On 4/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, valentine said:

Good luck to you Jimmy! Prayers sent for a full and speedy recovery.

I just had a full workup and my Doc started with a Digital Exam but then qualified  his "no cancer" announcement by adding "we won't know for sure until the lab results come back." So, the digital exam  and the blood work compliment each other. Thankfully, I'm in good shape and I'll continue to get checked  the old fashioned and embarrassing way but I'll have those results backed up with more modern lab tests. Seriously guys, don't eff around with this. I lost a friend/co-worker to prostate cancer 4 years ago. He was only 50 when he died. Nobody ever told him that he had a family history of prostate cancer and by the time he was diagnosed with it, it had already spread. I Have another friend who's in the prostate cancer fight right now. He's also only 50 but his was discovered early and his prognosis is good.  Yeah, the digital exam is humiliating and uncomfortable; particularly when it feels like the Doc took a running start from across the room  but regular exams and early detection are important. Please, fellas,get yourselves  checked  and then we can all come in here, bust balls and laugh about it while living to a ripe old age. 

I'm w/you.

My doc/my age/old school will tell me that my prostate is enlarged and will keep an eye out .

He also runs those tests and associated #'s.

Not sure those tests alone will tell you the whole story which is really what you want.

We've lost plenty of famous musicians, entertainers and just plain good folk which I'm sure was just lack of due diligence on the rear end.....

Com'on , it's only uncomfortable for 5 seconds.

Also might dissuade you from joinin' the other team...jus' sayin':moon::wag:....[not that there's anything wrong w/that]