saltykorean

First post and advice on equipment

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum and it seems like this one is more popular with the Northern guys. I'll be up in the Falmouth, MA area for the rest of April and early May for job training and was wondering what kind of gear I should bring for fishing from shore, jetties or surf. I'm familiar with most types of surf fishing and have gear to throw 1/2 oz jigs or 12 oz and bait and everything in between. Just wanted to know what my best options would be for targeting fish this time of year as this will be my first trip to the northeast. I don't have an offroad vehicle but I don't mind walking a bit to a good spot. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope to get to know some of y'all on the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10ft rod, 30lb braided if fishing beaches/rivers. 50lb braid if fishing the canal.  I’d think you have to do at lease 10 post or comment to DM. So once that happen just DM me and I will help you out. I don’t post much on here, just a long time lurker to see reports and read people boring post to keep me busy until it go time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be a little early for typical surf fishing action. Things dont really get going until mid May. Some schoolies around by very late April/May 1st.

 

Try the estuaries as they warm up fastest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice, seems like I'll be a little early for the best part of spring fishing. Any chance of getting on an albie bite while I'm there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, saltykorean said:

Thanks for all the advice, seems like I'll be a little early for the best part of spring fishing. Any chance of getting on an albie bite while I'm there?

Possibly. But not until late Aug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, DonWon said:

10ft rod, 30lb braided if fishing beaches/rivers. 50lb braid if fishing the canal.  I’d think you have to do at lease 10 post or comment to DM. So once that happen just DM me and I will help you out. I don’t post much on here, just a long time lurker to see reports and read people boring post to keep me busy until it go time.

Yawn ... I’m sorry, did you say something?

Edited by beerdoh
Sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is chunking cut bait effective early in the season or is it mostly lures? Trying to decide whether it'll be worth it to bring a heaver. Also, what's a good local tackle shop in Falmouth/ Woods Hole area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saltykorean said:

Is chunking cut bait effective early in the season or is it mostly lures? Trying to decide whether it'll be worth it to bring a heaver. Also, what's a good local tackle shop in Falmouth/ Woods Hole area.

Fresh bait, Sea worms Chunkies[Pogies manhaden] and even sea clams will take care of the bait early on. Have a few crabs for the tog bite as well. Falmouth has a few places you could try. Talk to the owners of the shops mentioned above by troutman for best times and places.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.