rickhern

Penn 360 slammer "geary"

11 posts in this topic

Just picked up a NOS 360 slammer. The previous owner(shop) had swiped a bunch of parts off of it including handle and main gear. I purchased a new main gear from Mikes but even with it loaded with super lube, it still feels a little "geary". How/where could or should I try to shim it to improve smoothness?

Thanks

4 hours ago, rickhern said:

Yes. The reel was new in the box, missing the main gear and a few other parts. 

Well,,anytime you replace the main,you should always replace the pinion as well as a set. If you have one gear that’s worn considerably more than the other,alignment suffers and can give that Geary feeling. Of course,without checking it out in person,it’s hard to say if that’s what it is. Being the main gear was replaced,I have to wonder if  shims are possibly missing as well.Again,very hard to diagnose from here.

3 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Could just be a shimming issue.  With the reel fully assembled, pull the "collar" of the handle in and out, if you see/feel play you need shimming. 

tony

Thanks Tony, 

That is exactly the issue. There is a bit of play in the handle and when I hold it in toward the reel body, the gears are smooth as silk. How can I get shims for this reel?

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, rickhern said:

Thanks Tony, 

That is exactly the issue. There is a bit of play in the handle and when I hold it in toward the reel body, the gears are smooth as silk. How can I get shims for this reel?

Thanks again.

i did mention shims

I just realized there is no part # listed on the schematic for shims.  Let me try and find a measurement for you or one of the existing shims that will fit. 

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

On 4/16/2019 at 5:59 AM, PENN Fishing said:

I just realized there is no part # listed on the schematic for shims.  Let me try and find a measurement for you or one of the existing shims that will fit. 

tony

Thank you Tony