Lurp66

Tides vs time of day

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Paul E said:

I believe we can agree that slack tide is consistently unproductive at any time of day or night. 

The very moment it starts moving again is something to be ready for. 

17 hours ago, Lurp66 said:

If you have to choose between fishing before & after high tide or dusk & dawn what do you choose. Trying to find out what's most productive if you can only hit one. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

I wish when I can and then look for the tide/spot that I want. I tend to fish at night and base my choices on the likelihood of having ‘company’. Meaning, I will try and avoid places or times when I’m likely to encounter other people. 

23 mins ago, cheech said:

I always try to avoid slack tide and fish moving water. I recently discovered this aspect of tides. Look at a tidal coefficient chart, shows how the tides build up and down throughout the month.

I'm surprized more folks don't look at or mention this fact about tidal ranges. Those slack tides are a good time for a coffee/drink or a bite to eat.

33 mins ago, Paul E said:

I believe we can agree that slack tide is consistently unproductive at any time of day or night. 

1000% disagree when it comes to bass. I consistently catch my larger bass at slack low if it is well after dark. And always on eels. I believe that the big fish use the slack to travel to their next destination. I have years of this to back me up.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, Lurp66 said:

If you have to choose between fishing before & after high tide or dusk & dawn what do you choose. Trying to find out what's most productive if you can only hit one. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

like others said, the favorable tide / current is location dependent

but if those are the only times of day you have available to fish

then the job becomes finding a spot where that morning / evenings tide stage, whatever it may be, sets up a favorable feeding / fishing opportunity where you decide to fish

i think its kinda either;

i have this specific time available to fish, these are the existing conditions, where do i go?

or 

i have a spot that i know or should fish well under certain conditions, then make time or plan a late night around when those conditions are expected - month, moon, tide

- which unplanned weather, wind might then screw up or help

On 4/13/2019 at 11:10 AM, Paul E said:

Absolutely not. There are more than a few places that I fish (or have fished) where slack was king, especially with bigger fish. One spot that comes to mind was like this. You could certainly catch fish thru the tide but over the years the bigger fish came at slack. I've always thought that in some places, especially with a lot of current, bigger fish hunker down and wait for things to be a bit easier. Granted, this is not every spot but they are definitely out there. 

Part of what I really like about the fishing game is the variety of opinions on what works best.  High tide, low tide, slack tide etc.  

I have 48 years of saltwater fishing under my belt and about the only thing I can say with any degree of certainty is that nothing works every time and that there’s always something new you can learn. For example, I grew up believing that moving water was best for striper fishing. Then a well known angler told me to target big fish during slack tide because big fish are lazy and will feed when it’s easiest for them, which is when there’s no current to fight. So, I went out to a rock I had fished successfully many times before, but this time I went when the tide wasn’t moving. I threw the big rubber shad I was told to use and reeled it nice and slow so that the rubber tail thumped back and forth. Following that advice resulted in the largest striper I had ever taken at that spot. There’s always something new to learn and try. 

Dawn, but I like to start 2-3 hours before false dawn. Loaded redfins, eelskin a40, rigged eels and then spooks and pencils at first light. I prefer the tide dropping at my favorite spot as the sun comes up.  

1 hour ago, zenman said:

Dawn, but I like to start 2-3 hours before false dawn. Loaded redfins, eelskin a40, rigged eels and then spooks and pencils at first light. I prefer the tide dropping at my favorite spot as the sun comes 

Miss the canyons at first lite..

20190225_182805.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, Paul E said:

Not if your live lining a bunker in the river. I love the slack for just that chance. That being said any other form of fishing the slack does not pay off most often..

I would choose darkness first (12-3 am or so) always but some spots only work on a limited tide window so it would be a waste of time if you don't hit it then. Daytime gets you less fish and more crowds for stripers.