jps1010

Call to Action for Striped Bass

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Dude, you are a self appointed bag of hot air. It is both laughable and insulting that you think you speak for me.

I have never said that I speak for anyone but myself. As far as a bag of hot air goes, try looking in the mirror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Yes, but that is only part of the fishing public, I try to do what's best for all of the fishermen, including commercial fishermen.

 

Yes, most states lowered their size limit for scup to 9 inches, it had been 10. Federal regs are 50 fish per man on a for hire vessel, but none of the states seem to have gone that high. Keep in mind that scup are a "meat" fish, most of the people fishing for scup want to bring fish home, add to tat the fact that we recreational fishermen have never even come close to catching our quota and there is no reason to not further liberalize the regs. 

 

Also keep in mind that that these huge populations of sea bass and scup are not living in isolation, their sheer numbers are affecting other marine organisms. There are very few crustaceans of any kind still thriving in any of the Northern region states, the sea bass and scup have eaten them all. Lobstermen north of Cape Cod are scared to death that the sea bass will spread further north and eat all the baby lobsters. We are woefully behind when it some to ecosystem management.

That won't an issue for them. The lobster have been shifting to the north with warming waters. They'll be out of Maine(in abundance) by the time seabass get there. The lobstermen are well aware of that fact.

 

It's pure ignorance to blame bsb (or striped bass like the MD watermen blamed for decreased crabs) for any decline in anything else. It's overfishing and human activity. That's the problem. Anything is bull****.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

 I try to do what's best for......all of the fishermen......including commercial fishermen.

 

22 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I have never said that I speak for anyone but myself. 

Nothing but hot air and cherry picked data out of you.  You can’t even keep your BS straight for an hour lol! :wave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Yes, but that is only part of the fishing public, I try to do what's best for all of the fishermen, including commercial fishermen.

 

Yes, most states lowered their size limit for scup to 9 inches, it had been 10. Federal regs are 50 fish per man on a for hire vessel, but none of the states seem to have gone that high. Keep in mind that scup are a "meat" fish, most of the people fishing for scup want to bring fish home, add to tat the fact that we recreational fishermen have never even come close to catching our quota and there is no reason to not further liberalize the regs. 

 

Also keep in mind that that these huge populations of sea bass and scup are not living in isolation, their sheer numbers are affecting other marine organisms. There are very few crustaceans of any kind still thriving in any of the Northern region states, the sea bass and scup have eaten them all. Lobstermen north of Cape Cod are scared to death that the sea bass will spread further north and eat all the baby lobsters. We are woefully behind when it some to ecosystem management.

In regards to your claim about the about the bsb and scup devastating the various crustacean populations- do you have any scientific evidence supporting this or is it more of your bull ****? 

 

I would put my cash on bull ****....

Edited by Drew C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, Cpalms said:

 

Nothing but hot air and cherry picked data out of you.  You can’t even keep your BS straight for an hour lol! :wave:

 

7 mins ago, Drew C. said:

In regards to your claim about the about the bsb and scup devastating the various crustacean populations- do you have any scientific evidence supporting this.

Look I know I'm not going to sway either of you out of your convictions. If there was a way to direct my comments to everyone but you I would. But some people are looking for another point of view, one that is supported by science and statistics, so you'll just have to put up with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

 

Look I know I'm not going to sway either of you out of your convictions. If there was a way to direct my comments to everyone but you I would. But some people are looking for another point of view, one that is supported by science and statistics, so you'll just have to put up with me.

You couldn’t sway a golden retriever with a box of snausages.

Edited by Cpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

This is jot an isolated thing on NJ party boats. If you reach your limit any addl keepers are still kept and handed out to other fares. It’s common place and accepted. 

On Long Island as well.  I don't fish on these boats but have friends that do.  Whenever I ask if anything goes back, the answer is "no".  They keep every fish up to their legal limit.  If a customer asks for a fish to be released, they're generally told to keep it because someone else will take it home.  Keeping a few short fish is pretty common as well, but that's another discussion.

 

This will be my last post on this topic as I believe it's run its course.  I will be sending an email to Senator Kaminsky requesting that Capt. McMurray not be removed as I believe John is one of the few true advocates for conservation. He's devoted the better part of his career to keeping folks informed of the issues regarding our inshore fisheries & I think he's done a great job. To remove a person such as this is a step in the wrong direction for fisheries management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vinnyb said:

On Long Island as well.  I don't fish on these boats but have friends that do.  Whenever I ask if anything goes back, the answer is "no".  They keep every fish up to their legal limit.  If a customer asks for a fish to be released, they're generally told to keep it because someone else will take it home.  Keeping a few short fish is pretty common as well, but that's another discussion.

 

This will be my last post on this topic as I believe it's run its course.  I will be sending an email to Senator Kaminsky requesting that Capt. McMurray not be removed as I believe John is one of the few true advocates for conservation. He's devoted the better part of his career to keeping folks informed of the issues regarding our inshore fisheries & I think he's done a great job. To remove a person such as this is a step in the wrong direction for fisheries management. 

Back to the original post - yes, John is a good guy. We need more people like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Back to the original post - yes, John is a good guy. We need more people like him.

Agreed I will always trust the person who has a vested interest in keeping fish in the ocean rather than those profiting from it on a dinner plate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Agreed I will always trust the person who has a vested interest in keeping fish in the ocean rather than those profiting from it on a dinner plate

 

It's amazing how rare that is. Ya'd think people would care a little more about the resource that provides for their living.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish that something could be done to correct a bad situation, but as they you can't close the barn door after the horses have left.  The fish have left,now it's just a matter of time before it is forced to be corrected.  People have short memories  through out history.  I lived through the last one and it's not pretty if you care about the resource.  I've seen the best and worst of the bass cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, Drew C. said:

It's amazing how rare that is. Ya'd think people would care a little more about the resource that provides for their living.

not if it impacts their living (paycheck) today, only way they would care is if they were subsidized for not fishing like farmers are for CRP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sandflee said:

not if it impacts their living (paycheck) today, only way they would care is if they were subsidized for not fishing like farmers are for CRP

There's actually an economic principle called "discounting the future" that has been studied at some length.  It's basically a formal explanation for the old saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."  People will find ways to justify not waiting for a substantially greater benefit, saying things like, "I might not be alive any more," "I might be doing something else for a living by then," "They might make fishing illegal," etc.  Studies have shown that the benefits of waiting have to be very much higher than the current benefit to convince people to even consider abstaining from cashing in now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, CWitek said:

There's actually an economic principle called "discounting the future" that has been studied at some length.  It's basically a formal explanation for the old saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."  People will find ways to justify not waiting for a substantially greater benefit, saying things like, "I might not be alive any more," "I might be doing something else for a living by then," "They might make fishing illegal," etc.  Studies have shown that the benefits of waiting have to be very much higher than the current benefit to convince people to even consider abstaining from cashing in now.

Agreed, If commercial interests were paid the same for part of the season releasing young fry into the oceans they would be at the next meeting professing the importance of rebuilding future stocks. 

as they say follow the money

 

CnR for hire (makes his $$ by having fish his clients can catch and release)

Commercial fisherman ($$ by what goes to the dock)

PB ($$ for how many bass they can advertise slaughterfest)

Recreational Joe, perhaps take a few fish home on occasion

Tackle shops ($$ hope there is enough fish to keep recreational Joe motivated)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Party boats generally don't keep any fish. Their customers, who are all recreational fishermen, keep the fish. IOW the "recreational Joes" in your formulation who elect to occasionally abandon the beach or piers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.