jps1010

Call to Action for Striped Bass

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

Just now, vinnyb said:

OK but removing Capt. McMurray would also eliminate his voice & opinions on other species such as striped bass - correct?  John is a pure conservationist & has been for a very long time.  Isn't this a good thing for our fisheries?

Not when he votes to continue to restrict fishing in species that are rebuilt to 300% of the target, that's more like a PETA position.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

And once again I'll tell you that the reason that many charter/party associations dislike McMurry has nothing to do with striped bass. It has everything to do with sea bass and scup where we have a biomass at close to 300% of the target biomass, yet the states refuse to even allow us to land the federal limits, which are more generous than the states, and which have also brought us to this huge biomass. But McMurry refuses to support the relaxation of the ASMFC regs

Yes he is protecting the kill everything lobby from making the same mistakes they have been making for generations (should we run the the exhaustive list of fish that have been overfished nd never came back?). Him and Charlie are the best friends you have - they are attempting to protect dumb people from continuing to do dumb things that will only further damage their dying businesses. It's just the NY charter boat whateverthefuuk alphabet soup organization is to stupid to recognize that fact.

33 mins ago, vinnyb said:

OK but removing Capt. McMurray would also eliminate his voice & opinions on other species such as striped bass - correct?  John is a pure conservationist & has been for a very long time.  Isn't this a good thing for our fisheries?

Vinny - Stop!!! You're making way too much sense. We can't have that sort of thing!

32 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Not when he votes to continue to restrict fishing in species that are rebuilt to 300% of the target, that's more like a PETA position.

How is fishing restricted here? There's a decent season, decent size limit for BSB through their range.

The problem is that there's jack squat else to fish for so attention turns to the one fishery that has yet to be destroyed. God forbid ya leave a few fish in the ocean tomorrow. 

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

How is fishing restricted here? There's a decent season, decent size limit for BSB through their range.

The problem is that there's jack squat else to fish for so attention turns to the one fishery that has yet to be destroyed. God forbid ya leave a few fish in the ocean tomorrow. 

Are you kidding me? Seasons are shorter than they ever were, I can remember when there was no season, you could catch them whenever they showed up. Even Today the season in MA is in the spring, while the season in NY and RI is in the fall. 15 inch size limit is reasonable? 15 linch is a huge sea bass from a historical perspective. And you're allowed to keep all of three fish a day for most of the season? That "reasonable" for a fish that is 3 times its target biomass.

Getting back to SB...they need a break.

Watch the #'s on lrg this year.

I can say without doubt it wont be good.

And I dont have much confidence in management.  It is political ya know.

13 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Are you kidding me? Seasons are shorter than they ever were, I can remember when there was no season, you could catch them whenever they showed up. Even Today the season in MA is in the spring, while the season in NY and RI is in the fall. 15 inch size limit is reasonable? 15 linch is a huge sea bass from a historical perspective. And you're allowed to keep all of three fish a day for most of the season? That "reasonable" for a fish that is 3 times its target biomass.

No ****?

I can remember catching 5lb tog from shore from May until October. 

I can remember being able to catch 8-10 keeper tog from shore in July/Aug.

I can remember catching winter flounder by the 1/2 bucket to the bucket from March - May and again in the fall.

I can remember buying 2 dozen worms, and hit a local bulkhead to catch enough flounder for a meal.

I can remember day time bluefish blitzes during the summer.

I can remember catching 5 weakfish on a tide and thinking it was a ****** day.

I can remember my Dad wailing fluke on a hopkins and a teaser from the beach. He caught dozens of them.

I can remember whiting and Ling in NJ/NY Bight area.

I can remember Bass chasing whiting along the surf in Nov/Dec.

I can remember when Giant BFT were caught regularly in the Mudhole (NJ).

Do you want me to go on about all the others?

You know what - not a single god damned one of those that I typed is even remotely possible today. Not a single one. The for hire fleet fights tooth and nail against any reasonable regulations. All the while continuing to overfish and not giving a single crap about it.

18 mins ago, Drew C. said:

No ****?

I can remember catching winter flounder by the 1/2 bucket to the bucket from March - May and again in the fall.

I can remember buying 2 dozen worms, and hit a local bulkhead to catch enough flounder for a meal.

I can remember my Dad wailing fluke on a hopkins and a teaser from the beach. He caught dozens of them.

You know what - not a single god damned one of those that I typed is even remotely possible today. Not a single one. The for hire fleet fights tooth and nail against any reasonable regulations. All the while continuing to overfish and not giving a single crap about it.

I remember going mackerel fishing in the nj muddle hole every spring with my Dad, loads of party boats there - that and filling a bucket with winter flounder was the first fishing of the spring...now? donut. distant memory. Almost as if it never happened. Gone forever.

ling, whiting, cod, the list just goes on and on.....buh buh buh but black sea bass is errr umm 3 times err umm biomass....This is about saving you from yourself. Not slapping a band aids on garbage businesses run by neanderthals.

9 mins ago, Cpalms said:

I remember going mackerel fishing in the nj muddle hole every spring. Gone forever.

Yep. Porbegals feeding just outside Jones on the massive schools Boston Mack's. 

Gone. Forever.

56 mins ago, Drew C. said:

No ****?

govt regulated all these species and now they're all but gone---it's a fair bet that bass will be the same story

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

No ****?

Things change, just like everything else in this world. Let's just focus on doing what's right now. I get it that you have a hard on for the charter/party fleet. But don't let that keep you from doing the right thing.

31 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I get it that you have a hard on for the charter/party fleet. But don't let that keep you from doing the right thing.

So says the water boy.

6 hours ago, MakoMike said:

What the hell is the difference in what they have supported the past vs what they support right now? They couldn't have been very effective at getting their "kill them all" philosophy adopted, because they still only kill 5% of the fish. They claim to want a representative that is closer to their point of view, which BTW had nothing to do with striped bass, and everything to do with fluke, sea bass and scup. OTOH you guys, i.e. recreational striped bass fisherman, think he's great because he blames the same guys that you blame, e.g. commercial fishermen and the charter/party fleet for the "overfishing" even though all the recs kill 85% of the fish.

This is not true since in the Feb 9 RFHFA newsletter the specific example they use as what they call McMurray propaganda deals with stripers and bunker. Also should be noted that RFHFA their news letter claims to be looking out for all recreational fisherman including non-boat anglers. 

Your argument often sound like a politician saying it’s only 5% or 10% like those numbers are meaningless. Then making it sound like the 85% group making comments here only wants to take but not give. Where many if not most of the 85% are willing to take needed cuts. What many can’t understand is when you need the limit the public to one fish a day and now looking at further restriction how can you justify having a commercial season. 

24 mins ago, Cpalms said:

So says the water boy.

Hey, go look, do background investigation, I have nothing to hide. I represent ME no one else.