jps1010

Call to Action for Striped Bass

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Slappy said:

John is a standup guy.  Why NY doesn't want someone who is dependent on a healthy striper stock to participate is beyond me.  Short-sighted people have brought us to the present decline and now we should put them in charge?

Exactly

I sent an email as well. Now is not the time to be increasing pressure on bass or replacing responsible fisheries managers. We never seem to learn and none of us is getting any younger.

15 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Yeah, that's the ticket, go after the guys catching 5% of the fish, while everyone else is slaughtering them. what the hell, as long as it isn't your ox that is getting gored.

Well put Mike, compared to the guys targeting actively spawning fish in the Hudson to the snag and drop mob when the bunker are thick and the tin and tube superstars during the sand eel explosions the for hire guys are a small percentage of the rec HARVEST. If everyone uses their head until the regs are changed it will help.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, jps1010 said:

The guys you are referring to  are a big part of the reason why we are here once again.  Some of the the guys you are referring to also believe it is their right to catch every last fish in the ocean.  Both are problematic and don't result in a sustainable fishery for everyone.

Sure the guys who catch 5% of the fish are totally responsible for the decline of the fishery. While the guys who kill 90% of the fish get a pass.

BTW- Those are the actual numbers pulled from the MRIP database for 2017.

Edited by MakoMike

16 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Email sent as well, and thanks again for the heads up.

Edited by banjer
responded to a troll

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Sure the guys who catch 5% of the fish are totally responsible for the decline of the fishery. While the guys who kill 90% of the fish get a pass.

I never said anyone should get a pass.  My thread was started because one of the few guys who gets it making his living guiding for striped bass has people lobbying to remove him as the proxy.  This is being done by those you appear to support.  It’s the same people who still refute what a lot of people have been saying for years and what the ASMFC has substantiated.

Did forget that these guys are the ones that fight any kind of meaningful regulation which has resulted in where we are now?  These lax regs have enabled us to get here.  I don’t think we would be here if you had 1 @ 36" or something similar up and down the coast.  Whether you realize this or not, striped bass like any one species is not an infinite resource and we have the ability to practically eliminate them just like we have done so for plenty of other fish over the years.

I knew we were going to revisit this issue the moment they pushed to go to 2 @ 28".  My only surprise is that we didn't get here sooner.

1 hour ago, jps1010 said:

I never said anyone should get a pass.  My thread was started because one of the few guys who gets it making his living guiding for striped bass has people lobbying to remove him as the proxy.  This is being done by those you appear to support.  It’s the same people who still refute what a lot of people have been saying for years and what the ASMFC has substantiated.

Did forget that these guys are the ones that fight any kind of meaningful regulation which has resulted in where we are now?  These lax regs have enabled us to get here.  I don’t think we would be here if you had 1 @ 36" or something similar up and down the coast.  Whether you realize this or not, striped bass like any one species is not an infinite resource and we have the ability to practically eliminate them just like we have done so for plenty of other fish over the years.

I knew we were going to revisit this issue the moment they pushed to go to 2 @ 28".  My only surprise is that we didn't get here sooner.

What the hell is the difference in what they have supported the past vs what they support right now? They couldn't have been very effective at getting their "kill them all" philosophy adopted, because they still only kill 5% of the fish. They claim to want a representative that is closer to their point of view, which BTW had nothing to do with striped bass, and everything to do with fluke, sea bass and scup. OTOH you guys, i.e. recreational striped bass fisherman, think he's great because he blames the same guys that you blame, e.g. commercial fishermen and the charter/party fleet for the "overfishing" even though all the recs kill 85% of the fish.

26 mins ago, MakoMike said:

What the hell is the difference in what they have supported the past vs what they support right now? They couldn't have been very effective at getting their "kill them all" philosophy adopted, because they still only kill 5% of the fish. They claim to want a representative that is closer to their point of view, which BTW had nothing to do with striped bass, and everything to do with fluke, sea bass and scup. OTOH you guys, i.e. recreational striped bass fisherman, think he's great because he blames the same guys that you blame, e.g. commercial fishermen and the charter/party fleet for the "overfishing" even though all the recs kill 85% of the fish.

You're not getting it. 

I am not saying the recs aren't responsible.  They are!  You're group is responsible for the lax regs that have resulted in the **** fishing I have had for several years now and will continue to have in the near future.  I also blame them for trying to remove a guy that gets the importance of sustainability and conservation.  Instead they would prefer to have someone in place that supports their point of view which is less regs and less conservation both of which are not sustainable.

Unlike a lot of them I am not trying to shut them out of a fishery like it has been done to me.  The more fish that are around, the more people will hire them and frequent their boats.  This catch and kill model as many as you can is an old business model that leads to overfishing and these same arguments over and over. 

13 mins ago, jps1010 said:

You're not getting it. 

I am not saying the recs aren't responsible.  They are!  You're group is responsible for the lax regs that have resulted in the **** fishing I have had for several years now and will continue to have in the near future.  I also blame them for trying to remove a guy that gets the importance of sustainability and conservation.  Instead they would prefer to have someone in place that supports their point of view which is less regs and less conservation both of which are not sustainable.

Unlike a lot of them I am not trying to shut them out of a fishery like it has been done to me.  The more fish that are around, the more people will hire them and frequent their boats.  This catch and kill model as many as you can is an old business model that leads to overfishing and these same arguments over and over. 

Wow, how the hell do you know who are "my group"? I don't represent anyone but myself on all of the panels/committees I sit on. The whole reason I got into this whole fishery management process is because I don't agree with any group that would like to claim to represent me. 

The only "group" that is responsible for the current regulation on striped bass is the ASMFC and the member states. Remember ANY state has the option to impose more stringent regs than the ASMFC requires.

And once again I'll tell you that the reason that many charter/party associations dislike McMurry has nothing to do with striped bass. It has everything to do with sea bass and scup where we have a biomass at close to 300% of the target biomass, yet the states refuse to even allow us to land the federal limits, which are more generous than the states, and which have also brought us to this huge biomass. But McMurry refuses to support the relaxation of the ASMFC regs

Edited by MakoMike

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Wow, how the hell do you know who are "my group"? I don't represent anyone but myself on all of the panels/committees I sit on. The whole reason I got into this whole fishery management process is because I don't agree with any group that would like to claim to represent me. 

The only "group" that is responsible for the current regulation on striped bass is the ASMFC and the member states. Remember ANY state has the option to impose more stringent regs than the ASMFC requires.

And once again I'll tell you that the reason that many charter/party associations dislike McMurry has nothing to do with striped bass. It has everything to do with sea bass and scup where we have a biomass at close to 300% of the target biomass, yet the states refuse to even allow us to land the federal limits, which are more generous than the states, and which have also brought us to this huge biomass. But McMurry refuses to support the relaxation of the ASMFC regs

I call it your group because you are the one that always seems to be siding with them.  That is how the hell I came to that conclusion!

They lobby the ASMFC left and right fighting regulations when for years we needed just the opposite to keep us from getting where we are now.  I have spoken with members from ASMFC that have reinforced this.  As a matter of fact I had one admit the for-hires/party boats want to be able to kill the last fish in the ocean and he suggested I write the governor and share my concerns with him.

I can tell you what I have heard and read these guys post about John online when it comes tor striped bass.  They call him an eco greenie, friend of Peta, there are plenty of fish, he has no idea what he is talking about etc.  It may be true about the scup and sea bass but it is also true they don't like him because of his stance on striped bass.

Scup, seriously. Scup...

That's what we are left with, friggin scup and given the chance the for hire fleet would decimate those things as well.

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Those numbers are about as accurate as Trump’s inaugurations attendance numbers. 

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

And once again I'll tell you that the reason that many charter/party associations dislike McMurry has nothing to do with striped bass. It has everything to do with sea bass and scup ...

OK but removing Capt. McMurray would also eliminate his voice & opinions on other species such as striped bass - correct?  John is a pure conservationist & has been for a very long time.  Isn't this a good thing for our fisheries?

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Those numbers are about as accurate as Trump’s inaugurations attendance numbers. 

Say what you will, they are the numbers that will determine the future of both the fishery and the fishermen.