Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Another two weeks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

before the schoolies show around these parts as indicated in the weekly report of the Striped bass Migrations . We should see some scup and sea bass soon along with some squid. No local reports contrary to the above so far, but patients is the key word around here as the weather should turn around and give up a few holdovers from our local tribes

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plenty of holdovers moving around.Brackish waters! Largest so far was about 24-26".White bunny/marabou clouser with extra large black beadchain eyes.The beadchain is from commercial office blinds.Normally the hunt starts on tax day but with the warm winter and not much snow runoff the water is warmer.So I started almost 2 weeks ago.

Edited by theshadow

Shadow I expect when the warmer days arrive in more force we shall see plenty of action from the local tribes as they wake up from there winter siesta. Some waters will heat up faster then others as you know and some tribes are holding larger schoolies then others as well.  Our river systems should heat up at the ends of the distribution areas and perhaps push them down towards the mouth as they enter the ocean . Back in another times these head waters were also a great place for cod as well as the herring made there way into the water system. Catching a bright fish was not unusual where the the fish had more distinct black coloration before we saw any from those migrating from down south in and around Boston Harbor and the earlier start when they would show up meant a longer season in the fall as they made there way back into the local river systems chasing smelt and other food for the winter holdover period.

Used to catch bass and tommy cod at the outfall of the Edison power plant [Edgar Station] in the Fore River on the Weymouth side in early March.

6 hours ago, theshadow said:

Used to catch bass and tommy cod at the outfall of the Edison power plant [Edgar Station] in the Fore River on the Weymouth side in early March.

Shadow we most likely passed each other during the stealth time of the day during those time frames . WE once used to sit on the wall under the bridge with the plant on our left and hook into cod fish[not tommy] it might have been earlier then March and striped bass that found them selves all the way up into the river system later in the summer.

Also blue fish when they pushed the pogies up. We also did a few smelt at the high water mark when they would come into river[ice fished for smelt and eels] up around Brey Way Tackle when Howie Plummer was the owner.

Times from the past that only memories can recall as the evolution of all the fish we once caught are mostly all lost for ever to just the history of what it once was in another time.

Played little league baseball at Watson park for Helens Rest. and Hamilton shoe co. which was at the dam of factory pond.Ice fished for smelt next to the bridge on Quincy ave.Eeled up tide of the bridge by the Braintree Electric light plant with spears through the ice.I still have a Gracia rod and Mitchell 308 reel from Bra-Way B&T.Also bought my 1st rod blank from Howie and built a cod jigging rod with it.I remember Howie saying " What are going to do with that! Catch a tuna"? as he laughed. I still have that rod too.Drifted big seaworms on the outgoing tide just east of Town river where this huge boulder was located and the bass would hang behind it and smash those worms as they went by.Learned that from an old timer at Town River yacht club@TOO.Small world......................Yep!